|Born||Eduard Nikolaevich Artemyev
30 November 1937
Novosibirsk, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Alma mater||Moscow Conservatory|
Eduard Nikolaevich Artemyev PAR (Russian: Эдуа́рд Никола́евич Арте́мьев; born 30 November 1937) is a Russian composer of electronic music and film scores. Outside of Russia he is mostly known for his soundtracks for films such as Solaris, Siberiade, Stalker and Burnt by the Sun.
Artemyev was born in Novosibirsk and studied at the Moscow Conservatory under Yuri Shaporin. His interest in electronic music and synthesizers began after his graduation in 1960 when electronic music was still in its infancy. He wrote his first composition in 1967 on one of the first synthesizers, the ANS synthesizer developed by the Soviet engineer Evgeny Murzin. He was thus one of the first composers and a pioneer of electronic music. His collaboration with the film director Andrei Tarkovsky in the 1970s made him well-known. He wrote the film scores of Tarkovsky's Solaris, Zerkalo and Stalker. Later he also wrote film scores for Andrei Konchalovsky and Nikita Mikhalkov. His film scores and his music received numerous accolades as well as three Nika Awards. Recently, he licensed several excerpts from the Solaris soundtrack in order to use them in the upcoming Spanish production The Cosmonaut. Eduard Artemyev wrote a couple of songs the most famous of them Deltaplan by Valery Leontiev.
Eduard Artemyev's composition Campaign or Death of the hero (Siberiade theme) has been used at 2014 Winter Olympics opening ceremony in Sochi, and his music theme from At Home Among Strangers has been used at the closing ceremony.
Film scores (selected)
- Solaris (1972)
- At Home Among Strangers (1974)
- The Mirror (1975)
- Stalker (1979)
- Siberiade (1979)
- Oblomov (1980)
- Family Relations (1981)
- When the whales go (1981)
- Courier (1986)
- Where is nofelet?(1987)
- Urga (1991)
- Burnt by the Sun (1994)
- The Odyssey (1997)
- Voyna okonchena. Zabudte... (1997)
- 12 (2007)
- The Nutcracker in 3D (2009)
- The Postman's White Nights (2014)
- Sunstroke (2014)
- The Heritage of Love (2016)
- PPK - ResuRection (2001) | Cover of Theme to Siberiade
- On Thorns I Lay - "Black Cold Nights", from the album "Angeldust" (2001) | The chorus-verse is also a cover of the Theme to Siberiade
- Digital Mastermind - The Space Theme | Cover of Theme to Siberiade
- Эдуард Николаевич Артемьев. Peoples.ru. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "23rd Moscow International Film Festival (2001)". MIFF. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- Примадонна озвучит Королеву крыс в сказке Андрея Кончаловского| Щелкунчик, Алла Пугачева, Андрей Кончаловский — Неформат. Информационный портал Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "Warmth of Earth". AllMusic. Retrieved 26 October 2015.
- "Three Odes". AllMusic. Retrieved 26 October 2015.