Eduard Volodymyrovych Shifrin (Ukrainian: Едуард Володимирович Шифрін; Russian: Эдуа́рд Влади́мирович Шифри́н; born 12 July 1960) is a Ukrainian-Russian entrepreneur who is a co-owner of the Midland Group. He is a resident in London.
Shifrin was born in Dnipropetrovsk, Soviet Ukraine, the son of metallurgy professor Vladimir Moiseyevich Shifrin. From 1977–1983, he attended the Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys, earning a PhD in metallurgy. Over the next 10 years, he worked in Zaporizhia at the steel company Dniprospecstal, rising from assistant foreman to manager of the steel plant and then head of marketing. He then rose to prominence as a business oligarch in newly independent Ukraine, taking control of privatised steelmaker Zaporizhstal. He co-founded, with Alexander Shnaider, Midland Group, a holding company headquartered in Guernsey that embraces interests in steel (including Zaporizhstal, Ukraine's fourth largest steel mill), shipping, real estate, agriculture and sports. Together they own a share in Trump Tower Toronto and formerly owned Maccabi Tel Aviv and a Formula One team, Midland F1 Racing. He and Shnaider were best friends since childhood, as their fathers were best friends.Shifrin graduated from school with a deep knowledge of physics. In 1976-7 he came first in in the National Ukrainian Physics Olympiad. In 1991 he completed his Phd in metallurgy. In 2006, together with his late father, he published a booked titled The Theory of Metallurgical Processes for which he was awarded the State Prize of Ukraine. The last 5-6 years Shifrin has spent studying the Torah and Kabbalah with a particular interest in the intersection of science and religion. He also published a number of Torah Commentaries on the Chabad.org website. In 2018 his book From Infinity to Man – Basic Ideas of Kabbalah in Terms of Information Theory and Quantum Physics, was published in Russia. The English-language edition will be published in early 2019. In 2003 he financed the construction of a Synagogue and Jewish educational centre dedicated to his late father.He also co-sponsored the construction of the Synagogues in the following cities: Moscow, Volgograd and Zaporozhye. He sponsors 66 Chabad Sunday Schools.
In the 2006 edition of the Sunday Times Rich List, Shifrin was listed at No. 59 with an estimated wealth of £920 million. In Forbes magazine's ranking of "The World's Billionaires" in 2009, Shifrin was ranked 559th with an estimated fortune of $1.3 billion. In 2013, Focus magazine estimated his net worth at $893.3 million, making him the No. 20 richest person in Ukraine.
- Slobodyan, Yelena (27 October 2016). "Кто такой украинский миллиардер Шифрин, который получил гражданство России?". Argumenty i Fakty. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- "Eduard Shifrin, Vice-President". worldjewishcongress. Archived from the original on 6 December 2011.
- "Profile: Eduard Shifrin". Forbes. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- "Министр транспорта евгений червоненко: «я не виноват, что мой друг детства эдуард шифрин — один из владельцев «запорожстали», а я остался женей червоненко»". Argumenty i Fakty (in Russian). 4 June 2005. Archived from the original on 27 October 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
I've been friends with Shifrin since birth. On 12 July, he turns 45 years old.
- "Steel tycoon seals £7m deal for Premiere club". The Jewish Chronicle. 21 December 2007. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- "The World's Billionaires: #559 Eduard Shifrin". Forbes. 11 March 2009. Archived from the original on 16 March 2009. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- "Putin gave citizenship to Ukrainian billionaire". Ukrop News 24. 27 October 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2017.