|Born||10 July 1888|
|Died||21 August 1974 (aged 86)|
|School or tradition||Dialectical theology|
|Institutions||University of Basel|
Born in Walenstadt on 10 July 1888, he studied theology under Bernhard Duhm and Paul Wernle at the University of Basel, and from 1911 served as an assistant secretary of the Christliche Verein Junger Menschen in Zürich. From 1913 to 1920 he was a pastor in Leutwil, during which time, he came in close contact with Karl Barth, then a minister in nearby Safenwil.
In 1920 he took charge of the parish in St. Gallen-Bruggen, then from 1927 to 1959 was a pastor at the Basel Minster. From 1930 he taught classes in theology at the University of Basel, becoming an associate professor of practical theology in 1941. In 1960–1963 he gave guest lectures in Hamburg, Wuppertal, and Berlin.
Thurneysen died on 21 August 1974 in Basel.
- Dostojewski, 1921 – On Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
- Komm Schöpfer Geist! : Predigten (with Karl Barth, 2nd edition, 1924); translated into English as Come, Holy Spirit; Sermons (1933).
- Christ und welt : fragen und antworten, 1950 – Christ and the world. questions and answers.
- Die Lehre von der Seelsorge, 1946; translated into English as A Theology of Pastoral Care (1962).
- Die Bergpredigt, 1963; translated into English as The Sermon on the Mount (1964).
- Ein Briefwechsel aus der Frühzeit der dialektischen Theologie (with Karl Barth, 1966) – Correspondence from the early days of dialectical theology.
- Psychoanalyse und dialektische Theologie : zum Freud-Verständnis (with Karl Barth, Paul Ricœur) – Psychoanalysis and dialectical theology; understanding Freudianism.
- Brazier, P. H. (2008) . Barth and Dostoevsky: A Study of the Influence of the Russian Writer Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky on the Development of the Swiss Theologian Karl Barth, 1915–1922. Eugene, Oregon: Wipf & Stock. p. 92. ISBN 978-1-55635-868-5.
- Smend, Rudolf (2007). From Astruc to Zimmerli: Old Testament Scholarship in Three Centuries. Translated by Kohl, Margaret. Tübingen, Germany: Mohr Siebeck. p. 103. ISBN 978-3-16-149338-6.
- Burnett, Richard E. (2004) . Karl Barth's Theological Exegesis: The Hermeneutical Principles of the Romerbrief Period. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 136. ISBN 978-0-8028-0999-5.
- Thurneysen, Eduard Historischen Lexikon der Schweiz
- Thibaut – Zycha / edited by Walther Killy Dictionary of German Biography
- HathiTrust Digital Library (published works)
|This Swiss biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|