|Full name||Eduardo Guillermo Bonvallet Godoy|
|Date of birth||January 13, 1955|
|Place of birth||Santiago, Chile|
|Date of death||September 18, 2015 (aged 60)|
|Place of death||Santiago, Chile|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
|1968–1972||Universidad de Chile|
|1972–1974||Universidad de Chile||36||(4)|
|1980||Fort Lauderdale Strikers||16||(2)|
|1983||Tampa Bay Rowdies||11||(0)|
|1983||Unión San Felipe||14||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
He was best known for his strong and rather harsh commentaries on Chilean football players, coaches and managerial structures. Bonvallet had put himself forward repeatedly for the position of coach for the national team. Bonvallet had experience training university-level teams, such as Universidad Gabriela Mistral.
Bonvallet made his international debut in 1979, earning a total of 24 caps, but no scoring. He represented his country in one FIFA World Cup qualification match and played in three games at the 1982 FIFA World Cup.
In 2007, Bonvallet was appointed manager of Deportivo Temuco (owned by Nehuen S.A.). The club was in difficulties, losing many games before Bonvallet took charge. This was his first chance to manage a professional team in the second division but success eluded him, Temuco being relegated to the Chilean third division.
Bonvallet had also coined a lot of insulting words and phrases in Chilean Spanish, which became popular on his show TVO Channel thanks to the involuntary aid of another one, Caiga Quién Caiga. Some of his notorious phrases were:
- ¡Avíspate re-huevón! (React, dumbass!)
- ¡Desconchetumadrízate! (Un-motherfucker-ize yourself!)
- ¡Ahuevonado al máximo! (Dumbass to the max!)
- ¡Feo, mamón y no sabís nada! (Ugly! Pussy! And you don't know anything!)
- ¡Grita huevón, grita! (Scream idiot! Scream!)
- ¡O eres monje, fakir o guerrero, o sencillamente te pierdes! (You must be either a monk, a fakir or a warrior or you will simply get lost!)
- ¡Tienen que comer carne! (They have to eat meat!)
He was on trial several times for publicly insulting managers, politicians, businessmen, etc. During his last years he earned considerable support, proclaiming himself "El gurú" ("The Guru").
Personal life and death
In June 2008, it was reported that there was a physical altercation between Bonvallet and former Chilean footballer Carlos Caszely. The location was a Santiago, Chile ice cream shop located in the commune of Las Condes. Witnesses reported that there was a fist fight after the two had an exchange of words.
- Eduardo Bonvallet - NASL Jerseys
- Eduardo Bonvallet – FIFA competition record
- [dead link]
- "La Tercera - Los detalles de la pelea entre Carlos Caszely y Eduardo Bonvallet". latercera.cl.
- El Gráfico Chile. "Murió el ex seleccionado chileno y comentarista Eduardo Bonvallet". elgraficochile.cl.
- El Gráfico Chile. "El parte policial sobre la muerte de Bonvallet habla de suicidio". elgraficochile.cl.
- Eduardo Bonvallet at National-Football-Teams.com