Education in Gjilan
The education in Gjilan includes primary, secondary education, and a public university. Currently there are 23608 Albanian students and 881 minority students enrolled in educational institutions around Gjilan.
- 1 Primary education
- 2 Secondary education
- 3 Universities
- 4 Number of students in Gjilan
- 5 Minority students in Gjilan
- 6 Teachers and teaching
- 7 Department of Education
- 8 Department for Science and Technology
- 9 Head of Department of Education in Gjilan
- 10 Annotations
- 11 References
In the context of Gjilani laws for education, the primary education ranging from grades 1−5 along with the lower secondary education is obligatory for all citizens and it begins when the child turns 6 years old. The mandatory is nevertheless free of charge.
The second phase of the obligatory education is the so-called lower secondary education which consists of teenagers usually around 12–15 years of age, therefore, grades 6-9. This education, according to the law, is also free of charge and publicly funded. The lower secondary education in Gjilan is held in these language: Albanian, Serbian, Turkish.
The higher secondary education is categorized in professional and general education and predominantly lasts around 3–4 years conditional on the educational curriculum that is planned by Kosovo's Ministry of Education. This level of education is not mandatory but nevertheless highly encouraged. Thus, all students who complete the higher secondary education basically do so on voluntary basis. On the ground of professional secondary education, the main aim is to prepare the youth for professional labor markets with the offering of possibilities to pursue university or post-secondary studies. The higher secondary education is categorized in eight types of schools consisting of classes with various teaching profiles.
Higher Education is available of attaining in various Universities and different educational institutions offering high professional education. Higher education is also available in public or private institutions where the students are offered associate degrees', Bachelor's degrees', Master's degrees', and PhD's. Various schedules are additionally available where students can choose to pursue their studies full-time or part-time.
Various alternations were brought by the network of high education institutions where a range of legal standards were adjusted for such institutions to develop. The standards and norms of higher education in Kosovo are supported by European standards as the platform on the development of the higher education system was based on the process of Bologna's objectives.
The Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology has created the Kosovo Accreditation Agency (KAA) according to Kosovo's law on high education for the aim of assessing the appropriate quality in the higher education private and public institutions.
The Public University of Gjilan has opened its doors to students on 1 October 2013 
|ISCED LEVELS||Format structure of the Kosovo Education system||Ages|
|Adult education/lifelong learning inbroad terms (formal and non-formal)||23–24+|
|ISCED-4||Post-secondary (non-university education)||18+|
|ISCED-3||Upper-secondary Education (Grades 10−12)||15−17|
|ISCED-2||Lower-secondary Education(Grades 6−-9)||11−14|
|ISCED-1||Primary Education (Grades 1−-5)||6−10|
|ISCED-0||Pre-Primary Education (Grade 0)||5−6|
Number of students in Gjilan
|Grades||Number of students|
|University||Bachelor, Masters, PhD||Confidential|
|Total number of students||23608|
Minority students in Gjilan
|Turkish students||Roman and Serbian students|
Teachers and teaching
There are 1671 teachers in 29 primary and 9 secondary schools and 4 kindergartens. The teachers have to be at least equipped with a University Degree.
|Role||Number of people working on it|
Department of Education
Duties of the Department of Education
The registration of personal data for students, according to the form approved by MASHT and in compliance with the law. Cooperates with the Government on planning and coordinating the development of pre-primary and secondary education in Kosovo Plans the development of pre-primary and secondary education in the municipality, in consultation with MEST and other municipalities In agreement with MEST regulate the establishment, merger, division and closure of educational institutions with public funding levels 0, 1, 2 and 3 in the Municipality. Regulates which schools belong to specific coverage areas in the municipality . Standard maintenance and repair of buildings and equipment of educational institutions with public funds and provisions for providing maintenance support services for the physical well, including fresh water, sanitary facilities and health services . Encourages, in cooperation with MASHT, social policy and public health through school and extracurricular activities, including road safety programs, field trips. Approves the local school holidays, in accordance with applicable law.
The Directorate is responsible for : Employment and wages of teaching staff in educational institutions of the municipality Participation in the selection of principals and teachers to be employed in municipal schools Identify the need, and in collaboration with the Senior Education Officer for the Municipality. Measures to ensure free use of buildings and facilities of municipal schools by teachers and support staff of educational institutions for the purposes of professional development, as defined in Article 28 of the Law on Primary and Secondary Education .
The Department continually reviews the measures taken for the implementation of special education in this task to the extent that it is necessary or desirable Directorate consults with MASHT and other municipal departments to coordinate the education of children who need special education It gives special needs, as defined by law Adopts regulations for the conduct and discipline of students in any educational institution, having received proposals from the school board and director comments on these regulations. They also perform everything specified by the law.
Department for Science and Technology
Department of Science and Technology
Department of Science and Technology is part of MEST which is responsible and has as a vision the execution of the policies of the Government of Kosova and MEST aiming to the creation of a good infrastructure, institutional and financial basis for the development of science, science researches as well as the encouraging the modern technology developments in Kosova economy.
Another aspect of the activities of DST is the coordination of works with the science state and public bodies, like the National Science Council, Kosova Academy of Arts and Science, Independent Scientific Institutes, Public University and other public and private institutions which are dealing with the scientific research in the different fields.
DST also has the following responsibilities:
- It makes the allocation of means to the public providers for the researches with interest of the public within the general provisions of the effective law for the public financing of public services in Kosova; - It plans and organizes the structure of the higher education and scientific institutions in Kosova, based on the economic and social needs in Kosova; - It makes the professional control of the National Centers for Science, Technology and International Cooperation in the field of science, technology transfer and scientific researches; - It's advised and coordinates the work with the higher education institutions in order to provide a useful cooperation for the relevant scientific issues; - It observes the work and legal implementation in cooperation with the department of the inspection for the all higher education institutions in the field of science and technology development; - It initiates and develops the necessary procedures for the change of effective legislation and it even can propose new legislation and other sub legal acts; - It helps in setting and cultivating the cooperation relationships with the sister scientific institutions in the country and abroad; - It helps the Kosovo institutions of the higher education in the process of integration in the European Area research.
Based on the actual organization of our department it is divided into:
- Division of Science and - Division of Technology.
Within the activities of DST, from its beginning, its worth mentioning the activities dealing with the cooperation of the department with the Institute of Albanology, Institute of History as well as the Institute of Pedagogy, with the focus on the development of the scientific, research and managing activities of these institutions. The department also has developed the cooperation activities even with the National and University Library aiming the development of the library and spreading the book to the wide range of readers, and especially to the researchers and scientists.
In the cooperation with the PPKA (Partnership Project Kosove- Austria), MEST has also managed to establish the Board of the Center for Innovation and Technology Transfer (CITT) which consists of 9 members, with Murteza Osdautaj as a chairperson of this Center. This board has drafted and approved the working regulation of CITT, it has organized a lot of meetings with external and internal experts, and in the beginning of July 2008, made a study visit in some of the universities and similar centers in Austria and Czech Republic with the aim to gain the experiences in managing and other activities of this field.
DST continuously is trying to initiate the amendment and re-amendment of the Law for the Science and Research Activity, as well as in cooperation with the CITT board drafts a strategic national document for the developments in the field of innovations, patents and technology transfer.
Scientific and Research Institutions, relating to DST are:
- Institute of Albanology in Prishtina (The link of the Institute of Albanology) - Kosova Institute of History - Institute of Pedagogy - National and University Library - Center for Innovation and Technology Transfer (CITT) 
Budget for Education
|Explanation||Staff||Wages||Services||City expenses||Subventions and transfers||Capital expenses||Total|
|Income (Total city expenses)||2005||65,000.00||118.000.00||4800.00||48.000.00||400.000.00||635.800.00|
|Outer Finance (Total city expenses)|
|Inner Income (Administration)||61.464.00||1800.00||48.000.00||400.000.00|
|Inner income( Pre-school)||15,000||8000.00||211.642.0|
|Outer income( Pre-school)|
|Governmental Grants (Primary-School)||1390||4,258,311.00||269.000.0||89.000.0||~|
|Inner income (Primary-school)||1390||4,258,311.00||215.000.0||55.000.00||~|
|Outer income (Primary-school)|
|Governmental grants (Middle school and University)||530||1.799.647.00||88.000.00||~|
|Inner income (Middle school and University)||63,000.00||~|
Head of Department of Education in Gjilan
The head of Department of Education in Gjilan is Mr.Nazmi Musa.
Area of Activity
- Management and coordination of pre-primary, primary and secondary education in the municipality.
- Recruitment of teachers and other school personnel in accordance with legal procedures.
- Registration, inspection of public health and safety and licensing of preschool educational institutions in accordance with the law
- Respect for and promotion of the rights of communities and their members
- Identify needs for professional directors and teachers and their implementation in cooperation with the applicable laws.
|a.||^ Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Kosovo and the Republic of Serbia. The Republic of Kosovo unilaterally declared independence on 17 February 2008, but Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. The two governments began to normalise relations in 2013, as part of the Brussels Agreement. Kosovo has received formal recognition as an independent state from 111 out of 193 United Nations member states.|
- "Universiteti i Gjilanit fillon punën me 1 tetor të këtij viti". Bota Sot.
- "Komuna Gjilan - Arsim". rks-gov.net.
- Azemi, Azem. Arsimi parauniversitar tregus dhe të dhëna statistikore vitet shkollore : 2004/05 ; 05/06 ; 06/07.
- "Profile of Gjilan / Gnjilane". osce.org.
- "Default Parallels Plesk Panel Page". gjilani-komuna.org.
- ADVmediaHOUSE. "Ministria e Arsimit, e Shkencës dhe e Teknologjisë - MASHT, MEST, MONT". masht-gov.net.