Education in Northern Cyprus
Education in Northern Cyprus is organized by the Ministry of National Education and Culture. 5 years of primary education is mandatory. As of 2015, Kemal Dürüst is the Minister of National Education and Culture.
Children in Northern Cyprus, below age 6, can attend kindergartens of public and private institutions. Kindergarten is not mandatory.
Elementary school provides 5 years of education for children between the ages of 6 and 11. All elementary schools are public and free.
High schools provide a minimum 6 years of education, where 3 years last for junior high school (Ortaokul). There are different kinds of high schools in Northern Cypriot education system, such as standard public high schools, private high schools, science high schools, vocational high schools, technical high schools and fine arts high schools. As of 2008, there are 18 high schools, 14 junior high schools and 12 vocational high schools.
All of universities in Northern Cyprus are private except Eastern Mediterranean University. In 2013 there were 63,765 university students from 114 countries in nine universities in Northern Cyprus. In 2014, the number of students increased to 70,004, (15,210 Turkish Cypriots; 36,148 from Turkey; 18,646 international students).
There are ten universities in Northern Cyprus:
Atatürk Teacher Academy and Police Academy provide vocational education in related subjects.
International membership of Northern Cyprus institutions
|The Association of North Cyprus Biologists (Bio-Der)||European Countries Biologists Association (ECBA)||2006|
|Northern Cyprus' Educational Sciences Association (KEB-DER)||European Educational Research Association||13.08.2010|
|North Cyprus' Higher Education Planning Evaluation Accreditation and Coordination Council (YÖDAK)||The European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education (ENQA)
The International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE)
UK - National Academic Recognition Information Center (UK-NARIC)
- Near East University’s Faculty of Pharmacy was accredited by The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) in 2014.
- The law faculties of the three universities of Northern Cyprus were accredited by European Law Faculties Association (ELFA).
- The English Preparatory School of European University of Lefke was accredited by Pearson Assured in 2015.
- Near East University and Eastern Mediterranean University are members of European University Association.
- Girne American University and Cyprus International University are members of European Council for Business Education (ECBE).
- List of Schools, Ministry of National Education and Culture
- Kibris Postasi 24 October 2014 70,000 students enrolled to the universities
- NY Times Students Flock to Universities in Northern Cyprus, 16.02.2014
- ECBA North Cyprus member page
- EERA Official Website EERA Members
- Hellenic Resources Network Educational Sciences Association joined the European Educational Research Association representing Cyprus
- INQAAHE Official Website North Cyprus is a member of INQAAHE
-  ACPE
- Kibrispostasi The English Preparatory School of EUL was accredited by PA
- EUA Members
- ECBE Members
- Ministry of National Education and Culture (in Turkish) (in English)