Education in the Falkland Islands
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Primary and Secondary Education
There are two schools in Stanley, the capital and only substantial settlement. The Infant and Junior School teaches ages 4 to 11 and the Falkland Islands Community School caters for ages 11 to 16. Other rural pupils are taught by travelling teachers. Older children can board in a hostel in Stanley so they can attend school there.
All teachers are trained in the UK or other English-speaking countries. There is also a primary school at RAF Mount Pleasant that mainly serves the children of members of the British armed forces. Some primary aged children who live in "camp" (the local term for the countryside) are educated remotely.
There are no post-secondary institutions on the Falklands, post-secondary studies would require travel to the UK or beyond. The Falkland Islands Government pays for qualified 16- to 18-year-olds to go to England to take A-level courses at Peter Symonds College, Winchester or to attend Chichester College to acquire National Diplomas or NVQs. The government also funds higher and further education courses for over-18s, also usually in the UK, for suitably qualified students.
Almost all return to the Falkland Islands after they have completed their education and gained experience in their chosen field
- "Education". Falkland Islands Government. Archived from the original on 2012-11-20. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- "Information Sheet 1c Location Overview" (PDF). Ministry of Defence of the United Kingdom. February 2008.
- "Relationship with Argentina | Falkland Islands Government". www.falklands.gov.fk. Retrieved 2017-03-10.
- Falkland Islands Government education page
- Falkland Islands Infant and Junior School
- Mount Pleasant School on the RAF base
- Peter Symonds College, the UK sixth-form college for Falkland Students
|This article relating to education is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Falkland Islands-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|