Education in the Federated States of Micronesia
The national education agency is the FSM Department of Education. Each state has its own education agency operating public schools.
- Chuuk Department of Education
- Kosrae Department of Education
- Pohnpei Department of Education
- Yap Department of Education
College of Micronesia is the tertiary institution.
Before foreign influence, education in Micronesia was rarely distinguished from everyday life experiences and learning opportunities. Spanish influence during the 17th century changed the Micronesian learning experience to what happened at schools. This system was also influenced by German influence starting in 1899. The Japanese brought their strict model of education to Micronesia in 1914. Following World War II, the United States brought their own model of education to Micronesia.
- "Education Profile of Micronesia, Micronesia Education, Education in Micronesia, Universities in Micronesia, Schools in Micronesia, Micronesia Education Profile". micronesiaeducation.info. Archived from the original on 25 April 2012. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- Dunford, Betty; Ridgell, Reilly (1996). Pacific neighbors : the islands of Micronesia, Melanesia, and Polynesia. Honolulu, Hawaii: Bess Press. ISBN 1-57306-023-2.
- "UNESCO Institute for Statistics". UNESCO. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- Ballendorf, Dirk Anthony (May 1974). "Coming Full Circle: A New School for Micronesia". British Journal of Educational Technology. 5 (2): 81–88. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8535.1974.tb00634.x.