Edward Abramowski (1868-1918)
17 August 1868|
|Died||21 June 1918
|School||Socialism, Anarchism, mutualism|
|Anarcho-syndicalism, Cooperativism, Authority, Poverty, Social justice, Ethics, Esthetics|
|Part of the Politics series on|
Edward Abramowski (17 August 1868 – 21 June 1918) was a Polish philosopher, libertarian socialist, anarchist, psychologist, ethician, and supporter of cooperatives. Abramowski is considered to be a spiritual father of Anarchism in Poland.
Abramowski was born in Stefanin, in today's Ukraine to Jadwiga and Edward. After his mother died (in 1878), he moved to Warsaw in 1879, where his teacher, Maria Konopnicka, introduced him to the members of the First Proletariat.
Influenced by Leo Tolstoy, Abramowski called himself a "state-rejecting socialist" in his most important work, Socialism & State. He went on to further his political philosophy in other works, such as The Republic of Friends, and General Collusion Against the Government. In later years, his thought increasingly tended towards anarcho-syndicalism, emphasising the importance of co-operative organization of the work force.
Abramowski is considered the founder of the Polish co-operative movement, promoting economic associations & initiatives. As a cooperativist, he founded the biggest countrywide consumer cooperative "Spolem" (Together), and cofounded the Polish Socialist Party.
Alongside this politico-social theorising, he also conducted an intense research activity in the field of experimental psychology, showing particular interest in the subconscious. This gave him a certain notoriety abroad & in 1916 he was given a chair in Experimental Psychology at the University of Warsaw, which he occupied until his death.
- Zagadnienia socjalizmu, Lviv 1899 (pod pseud.: Z.R. Walczewski)
- Etyka a rewolucja, 1899
- Socjalizm a państwo. Przyczynek do krytyki współczesnego socjalizmu, Lviv 1904
- Zmowa powszechna przeciw rządowi, Cracow 1905
- Idee społeczne kooperatyzmu 1907
- Le subconscient normal 1914
- Pisma, t. I-IV, Warszawa 1924–1928
- Filozofia społeczna. Wybór pism, Warsaw 1968
- Metafizyka doświadczalna i inne pisma, Warsaw 1980
- Polish Philosophy Page: Edward Abramowski at the Wayback Machine (archived November 30, 2007)
- Abramowski biography
- Polski Słownik Biograficzny. T. 1. Polska Akademia Umiejętności – Skład Główny w Księgarniach Gebethnera i Wolffa, 1935. (Polish)
- Najder-Stefaniak, Krystyna (2011). "Specyfika i wartość sztuki w ujęciu anarchisty" (PDF). Wybór pism estetycznych (in Polish) (Universitas). Retrieved 2012-09-05. C1 control character in
|last=at position 17 (help)
|This biographical article about a Polish academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about an anarchist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|