|Edward Thomas Allington|
24 June 1951 |
Troutbeck Bridge, Westmorland
|Education||Lancaster College of Art, Central School of Art and Design, Royal College of Art|
Edward Thomas Allington (born 24 June 1951) is an English artist and sculptor.
Born at Troutbeck Bridge, Westmorland, Allington studied at Lancaster College of Art from 1968 to 1971, at the Central School of Art and Design in London from 1971 to 1974 and at the Royal College of Art from 1983 to 1984. He was a fellow at Exeter College of Art and Design 1975–77. He won the John Moores Liverpool Exhibition Prize in 1989, was Gregory Fellow in Sculpture at University of Leeds 1991–93 and Research Fellow in Sculpture at Manchester Metropolitan University in 1993. He received a fine art award to work at the British School at Rome in 1997.
His work was included in the group exhibition 'Objects and Sculpture' at the Institute of Contemporary Arts in 1981 and 'The Sculpture Show' at The Hayward Gallery 1983. He has exhibited widely in America, Japan and Europe.
Allington's work is influenced by his interest in the classical world of Greece and Rome and often includes references to architectural details and ancient artifacts. He has exhibited in museums and art galleries throughout the world and is represented in major national and international collections. Allington lives and works in London and is a Professor and Head of Graduate Sculpture at Slade School of Fine Art at the Slade School of Fine Art, University College London.
- The Tate Gallery
- The Victoria and Albert Museum
- The Irish Museum of Modern Art
- The Nagoya Prefectural Museum, Japan
- Leeds Art Gallery, Leeds
- Fallen Pediment (Piano) 1994 Cass Sculpture Foundation, Goodwood, West Sussex
- The Tilted Vase 1998 Ramsbottom Greater Manchester
- Three Doors, One Entrance 1999 Milton Keynes Theatre foyer. Milton Keynes
- Cochlea 2000 Jesus College, Cambridge
- The Algorithm 2005 University College Hospital, London
- Edward Allington. (1983). Edward Allington: Drawing towards sculpture. Lisson Gallery.
- Edward Allington. (1984). In Pursuit of Savage Luxury. Midland Group.
- Edward Allington. (1985). Edward Allington: Bronzes & drawings. Lisson Gallery London. ISBN 978-0947830038.
- Edward Allington. (1999). Method for Sorting Cows: Essays 1993-97. Manchester Metropolitan University, Faculty of Art. ISBN 978-1900756037.
- Edward Allington. (2003). Edward Allington Site Projects. Bury Art Gallery & Museum. ISBN 978-0953891528.
- Edward Allington. (2005). Re Views: Artists and Public Space. Black Dog Publishing Ltd. ISBN 978-1904772200.
- Henry Meyric Hughes (2002). Blast to freeze: British art in the 20th century. Ostfildern-Ruit: Hatje Cantz; New York: Distributed Art Publishers. ISBN 9783775712484. p. 328. Accessed August 2013.
- Edward Allington | 21ST CENTURY BRITISH SCULPTURE
- Edward Allington at the Wayback Machine (archived April 1, 2007). Jesus College, Cambridge. Archived 1 April 2007.
- art49.com - Exhibitions Calendar for modern and contemporary art in London
- "The Slade School of Fine Art: Prof Edward Allington". ucl.ac.uk. 2013. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- Tate Collection | Ideal Standard Forms by Edward Allington
- "Fallen Pediment (Piano) by Edward Allington | CASS Sculpture Foundation". sculpture.org.uk. 2013. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Wyke, Terry (2004). Public Sculpture of Greater Manchester. Liverpool University Press. p. 265. ISBN 0-85323-567-8.
- "Tilted Vase". Public Monument and Sculpture Association. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- Artpoint: Projects
- UCLH Internet - New developments - New University College Hospital - Slade art programme
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Edward Allington|