Edward Bligh, 5th Earl of Darnley
Darnley was the second but eldest surviving son of John Bligh, 4th Earl of Darnley, and Elizabeth Brownlow, 3rd daughter of the Rt Hon. William Brownlow. He was educated at Eton College and Christ Church, Oxford, matriculating on 22 October 1812, where he took degrees of Bachelor of Arts (BA) in 1816, proceeding Master of Arts (MA) in 1819.
Darnley was returned to the House of Commons representing Canterbury in 1818, a seat he held until 1830 for the Whig Party. In 1831 he succeeded his father in the earldom and took his seat in the House of Lords. He also served as Lord Lieutenant of County Meath between 1831 and 1835, and was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1833.
- John Bligh, 6th Earl of Darnley (1827–1896)
- Rev. Hon. Edward Vesey Bligh (1829–1908)
- Lady Elizabeth Caroline Bligh (1830–1914), married Sir Reginald J. Cust (1828–1912) on 13 December 1855 and had issue, including Lionel Cust
- Lady Emma Bess Bligh (1832–1917), married Arthur Purey-Cust on 6 June 1854 and had issue
- Rev. Henry Bligh (10 June 1834 – 4 March 1905), vicar of St James' Church, Hampton Hill 1881–1893 and Holy Trinity Church, Fareham 1893–1900, married first Emma Armytage (d. 27 December 1881) and second Anne Elizabeth Dobree Butler, and had issue by both
Darnley died of lockjaw after an axe injury when felling timber on his estate at Cobham Hall, Kent, in February 1835, aged 39, and was buried at Cobham. He was succeeded in the earldom by his eldest son, John.
His wife, Emma, Dowager Countess of Darnley, died on 15 March 1884.
- Debrett's Peerage, 1968, p.322
- "Edward Bligh, 5th Earl of Darnley". The Peerage. 22 February 2011.
- Foster, Joseph, ed. (1891). Alumni Oxonienses 1715-1886. A–D. Oxford. p. 123.
- The Complete Peerage, Volume III. St Catherine's Press. 1916. p. 85.
- Burke, Sir Bernard; Burke, Ashworth P. (1914). Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire. London: Harrison & Sons. p. 571.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Darnley
- "Hon. Emma Jane Parnell" at The Peerage – portrait of Emma, Countess of Darnley
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Stephen Rumbold Lushington
|Member of Parliament for Canterbury
With: Stephen Rumbold Lushington
|New office||Lord Lieutenant of Meath
The Lord Dunsany
|Peerage of Ireland|
|Earl of Darnley
John Stuart Bligh