Edward Buckton Lamb
Edward Buckton Lamb (1806–1869) was a British architect who exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1824. Lamb was labelled a 'Rogue Gothic Revivalist', and his designs were roundly criticised for breaking with convention, especially by The Ecclesiologist. More recently Nikolaus Pevsner called him "the most original though certainly not the most accomplished architect of his day".
He was selected to design the chapel for the Brompton Hospital, then being built to the designs of Frederick John Francis, and was retained to complete the main building, in collaboration with Francis.
He contributed to Loudon's Encyclopaedia (1833), published studies on Gothic Ornament (1830), Ancient Domestic Architecture (1846) with text by William Henry Leeds, and contributed regularly to the Architectural Magazine (1834–8).
Notable buildings he was responsible for include:
- Brompton Hospital Chapel, London, and in collaboration with F.J. Francis, parts of the main Hospital building.
- All Saints' Church, Hartlepool
- St Stephen's church, Aldwark, Yorkshire (1846–53)
- St Luke's Chapel, Brompton Hospital (1849)
- St Margaret's, Leiston, Suffolk (1853)
- Christ Church, Hartlepool (1854)
- Berkhamsted Town Hall
- Episcopal Church, Dumfries
- Eye Town Hall
- Hrádek u Nechanic
- Disraeli Monument, Hughenden, Buckinghamshire (1862).
- St. Martin's church, Vicar's Road, Gospel Oak, London (consecrated 1865)
- St Mary Magdalene Church, Addiscombe (1868–70)
- Hughenden Manor, alterations for Benjamin Disraeli
- Wadhurst Castle
- St. Ninian's Episcopal Church, Castle Douglas, Scotland
- Etchings of Gothic Ornament 1830
- Lamb, Edward Buckton (1846). Studies of Ancient Domestic Architecture. John Weale. Retrieved 9 May 2019.
- Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900. .
- Pevsner, Nikolaus (1981). Yorkshire: The North Riding. The Buildings of England. Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300096651.
- Edward Buckton Lamb, DSA Architect Biography Report, UK.
- F. H. W. Sheppard (General Editor) (1983). "The Brompton Hospital Estate". Survey of London: volume 41: Brompton. Institute of Historical Research. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- Benjamin Disraeli; Melvin George Wiebe (2009). Benjamin Disraeli Letters: 1860-1864. University of Toronto Press. p. 203. ISBN 978-0-8020-9949-5.
- Walter H. Godfrey and W. McB. Marcham (editors) (1952). "Additional Churches". Survey of London: volume 24: The parish of St Pancras part 4: King’s Cross Neighbourhood. Institute of Historical Research. Retrieved 5 May 2012.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edward Buckton Lamb.|
- "Lamb, Edward Buckton". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/15913.(Subscription or UK public library membership required.). The first edition of this text is available at Wikisource: . Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.