Edward C. Johnson II
Edward C Johnson II
|Born||January 19, 1898|
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Died||April 2, 1984 (aged 86)|
Cataumet, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|Spouse(s)||Elsie Livingston Johnson|
|Children||Edward Johnson III, Elsie P. Johnson Mitchell|
|Relatives||Abigail Johnson (granddaughter)|
Edward Crosby Johnson II (1898–1984) was an American businessman and lawyer who founded Fidelity Investments.
Johnson II applied to have the "Fidelity Fund" approved in May 1930; John C. Hull (Securities Director of Massachusetts) approved the "Fidelity Fund" - (FIDELITY FUND, INC. Incorporated in Massachusetts May 1, 1930. as an investment trust of the general man agement type. Officers: E. C. Johnson, 2d., Pres., E. C. Johnson, 2nd — Vice-Pres. & Treas.) It became Fidelity Investments. During the Great Depression in the United States the "Fidelity Fund" was the only fund approved by Hull.
In 1946, he founded Fidelity Management and Research, and he served as its chairman. He died in Cataumet, Massachusetts of Alzheimer's disease in 1984, and his funeral was held at Milton's Universalist First Parish Church.
- Alex Taylor III, "WHY FIDELITY IS THE MASTER OF MUTUAL FUNDS" (1986) archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1986/09/01/67986/index.htm
- "Edward C. Johnson II". Harvard Business School. Retrieved March 4, 2017.
- "Who's Afraid of Abby Johnson?". Boston Magazine. 2018-08-07. Retrieved 2020-04-15.
- "Edward Johnson 2d, Was 86; Began Investment Company". The New York Times. October 5, 1984. Retrieved September 20, 2018.
- "Fidelity Investments Inc History"
- Moody's Manual of Investments - 1944 Edition - FIDELITY FUND 1930 - page 754
Moody's Manual of Investments, American and Foreign, Banks, insurance companies, investment trusts, real estate, finance and credit companies FIDELITY FUND, INC. Incorporated in Massachusetts May 1, 1930. as an investment trust of the general man agement type. Officers: E. C. Johnson, 2d., Pres., R. B. Wil liams. Treas.; Gwen Shannon, Clerk and Asst. Treas. Directors (Showing banking and corporate connections): E. C. Johnson, 2nd — Vice-Pres. & Treas., In corporated Investors. G. R. Harding — Trustee. P. H. Theopold— Dir., Fiduciary Trust Co., Boston. Annual Meeting: Third Monday in February. Custodian of Securities: National Shawmut Bank of Boston.