Edward Charles Titchmarsh
|Professor Ted Titchmarsh|
|Born||Edward Charles Titchmarch|
1 June 1955
Newbury, Berkshire, England
|Died||18 January 2010 (aged 54)|
Oxford, Oxfordshire, England
|Alma mater||Balliol College, Oxford field 2|
|Known for||Brun–Titchmarsh theorem|
Titchmarsh convolution theorem
Titchmarsh theorem (on the Hilbert transform)
Titchmarsh was known for work in analytic number theory, Fourier analysis and other parts of mathematical analysis. He wrote several classic books in these areas; his book on the Riemann zeta-function was reissued in an edition edited by Roger Heath-Brown.
- Fellow of the Royal Society, 1931
- De Morgan Medal, 1953
- Sylvester Medal, 1955
- Berwick Prize winner, 1956
- The Zeta-Function of Riemann (1930);
- Introduction to the Theory of Fourier Integrals (1937) 2nd. edition(1939) 2nd. edition (1948);
- The Theory of Functions (1932);
- Mathematics for the General Reader (1948);
- The Theory of the Riemann Zeta-Function (1951); 2nd edition, revised by D. R. Heath-Brown (1986)
- Eigenfunction Expansions Associated with Second-order Differential Equations. Part I (1946) 2nd. edition (1962);
- Eigenfunction Expansions Associated with Second-order Differential Equations. Part II (1958);
- Cartwright, M. L. (1964). "Edward Charles Titchmarsh 1899-1963". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 10: 305–326. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1964.0018.
- Edward Charles Titchmarsh at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Edward Charles Titchmarsh", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Tamarkin, J. D. (1938). "Review: Introduction to the Theory of Fourier Integrals by E. C. Titchmarsh" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 44 (11): 764–765. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1938-06876-0.
- Chittenden, E. W. (1933). "Review: The Theory of Functions by E. C. Titchmarsh" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 39 (9): 650–651. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1933-05690-2.
- Levinson, N. (1952). "Review: The theory of the Riemann zeta-function by E. C. Titchmarsh" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 58 (3): 401–403. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1952-09592-6.
- Trjitzinsky, W. J. (1948). "Review: Eigenfunction expansions associated with second-order differential equations by E. C. Titchmarsh" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 54 (5): 485–487. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1948-09001-2.
- Hartman, Philip (1959). "Review: Eigenfunction expansions associated with second-order differential equations, Part 2 by E. C. Titchmarsh" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 65 (3): 151–154. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1959-10307-4.