Edward Charles Titchmarsh
|Professor Ted Titchmarsh|
|Born||Edward Charles Titchmarch
1 June 1899
Newbury, Berkshire, England
|Died||18 January 1963
Oxford, Oxfordshire, England
|Alma mater||Balliol College, Oxford|
|Known for||Brun–Titchmarsh theorem
Titchmarsh convolution theorem
Titchmarsh theorem (on the Hilbert transform)
|Awards||De Morgan Medal (1953)
Sylvester Medal (1955)
Senior Berwick Prize (1956)
Fellow of the Royal Society
|Institutions||University of Oxford|
|Academic advisors||G. H. Hardy|
|Doctoral students||Lionel Cooper
John Bryce McLeod
Titchmarsh was known for work in analytic number theory, Fourier analysis and other parts of mathematical analysis. He wrote several classic books in these areas; his book on the Riemann zeta-function was reissued in an edition edited by Roger Heath-Brown.
- Fellow of the Royal Society, 1931
- De Morgan Medal, 1953
- Sylvester Medal, 1955
- Berwick Prize winner, 1956
- The Zeta-Function of Riemann (1930);
- Introduction to the Theory of Fourier Integrals (1937) 2nd. edition(1939) 2nd. edition (1948);
- The Theory of Functions (1932);
- Mathematics for the General Reader (1948);
- The Theory of the Riemann Zeta-Function (1951); 2nd edition, revised by D. R. Heath-Brown (1986)
- Eigenfunction Expansions Associated with Second-order Differential Equations. Part I (1946) 2nd. edition (1962);
- Eigenfunction Expansions Associated with Second-order Differential Equations. Part II (1958);
- Cartwright, M. L. (1964). "Edward Charles Titchmarsh 1899-1963". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 10: 305–326. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1964.0018.
- Edward Charles Titchmarsh at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Edward Charles Titchmarsh", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Tamarkin, J. D. (1938). "Review: Introduction to the Theory of Fourier Integrals by E. C. Titchmarsh" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 44 (11): 764–765. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1938-06876-0.
- Chittenden, E. W. (1933). "Review: The Theory of Functions by E. C. Titchmarsh" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 39 (9): 650–651. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1933-05690-2.
- Levinson, N. (1952). "Review: The theory of the Riemann zeta-function by E. C. Titchmarsh" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 58 (3): 401–403. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1952-09592-6.
- Trjitzinsky, W. J. (1948). "Review: Eigenfunction expansions associated with second-order differential equations by E. C. Titchmarsh" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 54 (5): 485–487. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1948-09001-2.
- Hartman, Philip (1959). "Review: Eigenfunction expansions associated with second-order differential equations, Part 2 by E. C. Titchmarsh" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 65 (3): 151–154. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1959-10307-4.