Edward Denny, 1st Earl of Norwich
The son of Sir Anthony Denny's eldest son, Henry, he matriculated at St John's College, Cambridge in 1585. He was knighted in 1587, and welcomed James I to England while high Sheriff of Hertfordshire in 1603. He was M.P. for Essex in 1604, but on 27 October 1604 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Denny, of Waltham.
Around 1590-1600 he built Abbey House on the site of Waltham Abbey, the lands of which had been in the family for several generations. Most of the old abbey buildings had been demolished, but the church remained as a parish church. The new Abbey House was directly north-east of the church. The whole building was demolished in 1770.
The appearance of Lady Mary Wroth's The Countess of Montgomery's Urania brought protests from Denny, objecting to portrayals of real people in the work. He particularly was stung by an incident from the work that to him seemed to allude to his own family life.
He was created Earl of Norwich on 17 October 1626.
- "DENNY". Tudorplace.com.ar. Retrieved October 2013. Check date values in:
- "Person Page 35727". Thepeerage.com. Retrieved October 2013. Check date values in:
- "Dennye, Edward (DNY585E)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Waltham Holy Cross - Introduction and manors | A History of the County of Essex: Volume 5 (pp. 151-162)". British-history.ac.uk. 22 June 2003. Retrieved October 2013. Check date values in:
- "Seax Archeaology - Unlocking Essex's Past". Unlockingessex.essexcc.gov.uk. Retrieved October 2013. Check date values in:
- Lorna Sage, Germaine Greer, Elaine Showalter, The Cambridge Guide to Women's Writing in English (1999), p. 154.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Wroth [née Sidney], Lady Mary (1587?–1651/1653), author, by Mary Ellen Lamb.
- Sil, Narasingha P. (2004). "Denny, Sir Anthony (1501-1549)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/7506. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.) (A biograpjy on his grandfather but contains a paragraph of Edward Denny, Earl of Norwich)
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Cooper, Thomas (1888). "Denny, Anthony". In Stephen, Leslie. Dictionary of National Biography. 14. London: Smith, Elder & Co. pp. 373–374.(A biograpjy on his grandfather but contains a paragraph of Edward Denny, Earl of Norwich)
|Peerage of England|
|New creation||Earl of Norwich
1626 – 1637
1604 – 1637
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of England (up to 1707) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|