Edward Fitzalan-Howard, 18th Duke of Norfolk
The Duke of Norfolk
Portrait by Allan Warren
24 June 2002
|Preceded by||The 17th Duke of Norfolk|
|Born||2 December 1956|
|Spouse(s)||Georgina Susan née Gore|
|Children||Henry Fitzalan-Howard, Earl of Arundel
Lady Rachel Fitzalan-Howard
Lord Thomas Fitzalan-Howard
Lady Isabel Fitzalan-Howard
Lord Philip Fitzalan-Howard
|Parents||Miles Fitzalan-Howard, 17th Duke of Norfolk
Anne Mary Teresa née Constable-Maxwell
|Alma mater||Lincoln College, Oxford|
|Title||Duke of Norfolk|
|Tenure||24 June 2002 – present|
|Other titles||Earl of Arundel (1975-2002)|
|Predecessor||Miles Stapleton-Fitzalan-Howard, 17th Duke of Norfolk|
|Heir||Henry Fitzalan-Howard, Earl of Arundel|
Edward William Fitzalan-Howard, 18th Duke of Norfolk, DL (born 2 December 1956), styled Earl of Arundel between 1975 and 2002, is a British peer and the son of the Earl Marshal Miles Fitzalan-Howard, 17th Duke of Norfolk.
Background and education
Norfolk is the son of Miles Francis Stapleton Fitzalan-Howard, 17th Duke of Norfolk, and his wife Anne Mary Teresa Constable-Maxwell. He was educated at Ampleforth College, a Roman Catholic independent school, and then attended Lincoln College, Oxford.
Norfolk worked with various companies, and from 2000 to 2002 was Deputy Earl Marshal. Upon the death of his father in 2002, he inherited the late Duke of Norfolk's peerages and the position of Earl Marshal. He was a Cub Scout whilst at school at Ampleforth College and currently holds two appointments in the Scout Movement. He was until 2010 the President of 1st Arundel (Earl of Arundel's Own) Scout Group, and is still the president of the Arundel & Littlehampton District Scouts. He is also patron of West Sussex County Scouts. In June 2003 he was awarded the Medal of Merit for Services to the Scout Movement.
- Henry Miles Fitzalan-Howard, Earl of Arundel, born 3 December 1987.
- Lady Rachel Fitzalan-Howard, born 10 June 1989.
- Lord Thomas Fitzalan-Howard, born 14 March 1992.
- Lady Isabel Fitzalan-Howard, born 7 February 1994.
- Lord Philip Fitzalan-Howard, born 14 July 1996.
In 2002, he inherited the Dukedom of Norfolk, as well as a number of earldoms, baronies, hereditary offices, and titles attached to the Dukedom, from his father. His office of Earl Marshal, one of the Great Officers of State, makes him responsible for State occasions, such as coronations and the State Opening of Parliament. He is also, by virtue of this office, one of the hereditary judges of the Court of Chivalry and head of the College of Arms, responsible for heraldry in England and Wales as well as other parts of the Commonwealth of Nations.
List of Peerages
- 18th Duke of Norfolk (Premier Duke of England)
- 36th Earl of Arundel (Premier Earl of England)
- 19th Earl of Surrey
- 16th Earl of Norfolk
- 13th Baron Beaumont
- 26th Baron Maltravers
- 16th Baron FitzAlan
- 16th Baron Clun
- 16th Baron Oswaldestre
- 5th Baron Howard of Glossop
List of hereditary offices
- Earl Marshal
- Hereditary Marshal of England
- Chief Butler of England (One of three claimants to this office before the 1902 Court of Claims. The dispute was never resolved.)
Titles and styles
- 1956-1971: Mr Edward Fitzalan-Howard
- 1971-1975: The Hon Edward Fitzalan-Howard
- 1975-2002: Earl of Arundel
- 2002-: His Grace The Duke of Norfolk
|Ancestors of Edward Fitzalan-Howard, 18th Duke of Norfolk|
The Duke's patriline is the line from which he is descended father to son.
- Dod's Parliamentary Companion. Vacher Dod Publishing, Limited. 2004. p. 666. Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- Gordon Casely (27 June 2002). "Obituary: The Duke of Norfolk". The Herald (Glasgow). Retrieved 5 March 2011.
- "Duke of Norfolk and wife to begin trial separation". The Times. 15 April 2011. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- United Press International (26 December 2004). "Prince Charles coronation planned in Britain". Reality TV World. Retrieved 5 March 2011.
- Morgan, Christopher; Hellen, Nicholas (26 December 2004). "Charles plans his modern coronation". The Sunday Times.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Duke of Norfolk
- Edward Fitzalan-Howard, 18th Duke of Norfolk
The 17th Duke of Norfolk
|Peerage of England|
|Duke of Norfolk
|Order of precedence in England and Wales|
Ambassadors and High Commissioners
The Duke of Somerset
|Order of precedence in Northern Ireland|
Ambassadors and High Commissioners
The Earl of Dalhousie