Edward Fitzalan-Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Glossop
|The Right Honourable
The Lord Howard of Glossop
|Vice-Chamberlain of the Household|
8 July 1846 – 21 February 1852
|Prime Minister||Lord John Russell|
|Preceded by||Lord Ernest Bruce|
|Succeeded by||Viscount Newport|
|Born||20 June 1818|
|Died||1 December 1883 (aged 65)|
|Spouse(s)||(1) Augusta Talbot
(2) Winifreda Phillipps
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
Edward George Fitzalan-Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Glossop PC (20 June 1818 – 1 December 1883), styled Lord Edward Howard between 1842 and 1869, was a British Liberal politician. He served as Vice-Chamberlain of the Household under Lord John Russell from 1846 to 1852.
Background and education
Howard was the second son of Henry Howard, 13th Duke of Norfolk and Lady Charlotte Sophia Leveson-Gower, daughter of George Leveson-Gower, 1st Duke of Sutherland. Henry Fitzalan-Howard, 14th Duke of Norfolk, was his elder brother. He was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge.
In 1846 Howard was sworn of the Privy Council and appointed Vice-Chamberlain of the Household in Lord John Russell's first administration, despite not having a seat in Parliament. Two years later he was returned to parliament for Horsham. He remained as Vice-Chamberlain of the Household until the fall of the Russell administration in 1852. The same year he was returned to parliament for Arundel, a seat he held until 1868. In 1869 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Howard of Glossop, in the County of Derby.
Lord Howard of Glossop married Augusta Talbot, daughter of George Henry Talbot, in 1851. They had two sons and five daughters:
- Hon. Angela Mary Charlotte Fitzalan-Howard (d. 1 March 1919), married Marmaduke Constable-Maxwell, 11th Lord Herries of Terregles, and was the mother of Gwendolen Fitzalan-Howard, Duchess of Norfolk.
- Hon. Alice Elizabeth Fitzalan-Howard (d. 10 May 1915), married Charles Rawdon-Hastings, 11th Earl of Loudoun.
- Hon. Constance Mary Germana Fitzalan-Howard (d. 30 January 1933), married Colonel Charles Lennox Tredcroft.
- Hon. Winifrede Mary Fitzalan-Howard (d. 26 January 1937), married William W. Middleton.
- Charles Bernard Talbot Fitzalan-Howard (3 June 1852 – 8 July 1861).
- Hon. Gwendolen Mary Anne Fitzalan-Howard (21 February 1854 – 15 January 1932), married John Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute.
- Francis Edward Fitzalan-Howard, 2nd Baron Howard of Glossop (9 May 1859 – 1924), father of Bernard Fitzalan-Howard, 3rd Baron Howard of Glossop.
Augusta died in July 1862. Lord Howard of Glossop married as his second wife Winifred Mary De Lisle, daughter of Ambrose Lisle March Phillipps de Lisle, in 1863. They had no children. He died in December 1883, aged 65, and was succeeded by his only surviving son, Francis. Lady Howard of Glossop died in December 1909.
- "Edward George Fitzalan-Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Glossop", thePeerage.com
- "Howard, the Hon. Edward George (HWRT836EG)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- The London Gazette: . 10 July 1846.
- The London Gazette: . 10 July 1846.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 4)[self-published source][better source needed]
- The London Gazette: . 9 March 1852.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "A" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]
- The London Gazette: . 26 November 1869.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Edward Fitzalan-Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Glossop
- "Howard, Edward George Fitzalan". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Horsham
|Member of Parliament for Arundel
Lord Ernest Bruce
|Vice-Chamberlain of the Household
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation||Baron Howard of Glossop