Edward Fitzherbert, 13th Baron Stafford
|Edward Fitzherbert, 13th Baron Stafford|
1918 portrait by Francis Dodd
|Born||17 April 1864|
|Died||28 September 1941 (aged 77)|
|Years of service||1877–1925|
|Commands held||HMS Albemarle
HMS Impregnable, formerly Howe
Cape of Good Hope Station
|Battles/wars||World War I|
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath|
Admiral Edward Stafford Fitzherbert, 13th Baron Stafford, KCB (17 April 1864 – 28 September 1941) was an English peer, holding the title Baron Stafford. He was also a Royal Navy officer who went on to be Commander-in-Chief, Cape of Good Hope Station.
Fitzherbert joined the Royal Navy in 1877. Promoted to Captain in 1904, he was given command of the battleship HMS Albemarle, of the training ship HMS Impegnable and then of the armoured cruiser HMS Bedford which ran aground during sea trials in 1910.
His father was Basil Thomas Fitzherbert and his mother was Emily Charlotte Stafford-Jerningham. He changed his surname to Fitzherbert-Stafford by Royal Licence. It was through his mother's side of the family that he gained the Stafford barony in 1932; his brother Francis Fitzherbert-Stafford, 12th Baron Stafford had died without issue in 1932. Fitzherbert-Stafford also descended from Genoese nobility as his great grandfather was John Vincent Gandolfi, 12th Marquis Gandolfi.
Fitzherbert did not marry and died without issue, the barony thus passed on to his nephew, Basil Fitzherbert, 14th Baron Stafford. The 13th Baron Stafford died at the family seat of Swynnerton Hall in 1941 at age 77.
- Naval Cadetships, The Times, 30 June 1877
- Royal Navy Admirals 1904-1945
- Royal Navy Fleet Organisation 1906
- Navy List 1908
- Royal Navy Memorials
- Simonstown Historical Society
- The London Gazette: . 20 March 1925. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- Lundy, Darryl. "Edward Fitzherbert, 13th Baron Stafford". ThePeerage.com. p. 7521 § 75208. Retrieved 21 March 2008.[unreliable source?]
- Francis Edward Fitzherbert-Stafford, 12th Baron Stafford". GeneAll.net. Retrieved on 2008-03-21.
- Raineval, Melville Henry Massue marquis de Ruvigny et (1994). The Plantagenet Roll of the Blood Royal: Being a Complete Table of All the Descendants Now Living of Edward III, King of England. The Clarence volume. Genealogical Publishing Co. p. [page needed]. ISBN 978-0-8063-1432-7.
- The Dreadnought Project: Edward Fitzherbert, 13th Baron Stafford
Sir Edward Charlton
|Commander-in-Chief, Cape of Good Hope Station
Sir William Goodenough
|Peerage of England|
Francis Fitzherbert-Stafford, 12th Baron Stafford
Basil Fitzherbert, 14th Baron Stafford