Edward Fomalont (born May 14, 1940) is an American scientist working at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. He specializes in radio galaxies, X-ray binary systems, astrometry, and general relativity. He has published more than 330 papers in peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of scientific conferences.
In 1975, Fomalont and Richard Sramek made a first radio-interferometric occultation experiment to test the theory of general relativity by measuring the bending of microwave radiation in the gravitational field of the Sun. Fomalont and colleagues made the most precise VLBI test of general relativity in 2005 that had reached precision of few parts in 10,000.
In 2002, Fomalont and Sergei Kopeikin claimed to have measured the speed of gravity in the dedicated experiment by observing the tangential component in the gravitational bending of light of a quasar caused by the orbital motion of Jupiter with respect to the barycenter of the solar system. This claim was disputed but vigorously defended by Kopeikin and Fomalont in a number of subsequent publications.
- "SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System".
- Gilbert, Harry; Diana Gilbert Smith (1997). Gravity, the glue of the universe: history and activities. Libraries Unlimited. p. 98. ISBN 978-1-56308-442-3.
- Fomalont, Edward; Kopeikin, Sergei; Lanyi, Gabor; Benson, John (2009). "Progress in Measurements of the Gravitational Bending of Radio Waves Using the VLBA". The Astrophysical Journal. 699: 1395–1402. Bibcode:2009ApJ...699.1395F. arXiv: . doi:10.1088/0004-637X/699/2/1395.
- Kopeikin, Sergei (2001). "Testing the Relativistic Effect of the Propagation of Gravity by Very Long Baseline Interferometry". The Astrophysical Journal. 556: L1–L5. Bibcode:2001ApJ...556L...1K. arXiv: . doi:10.1086/322872.
- Fomalont, Edward; Kopeikin, Sergei (2003). "The Measurement of the Light Deflection from Jupiter: Experimental Results". The Astrophysical Journal. 598: 704–711. Bibcode:2003ApJ...598..704F. arXiv: . doi:10.1086/378785.
- "Einstein proved right on gravity". BBC News. January 8, 2003. Retrieved April 17, 2010.
- "Berkeley Lab Physicist Challenges Speed of Gravity Claim". Space Daily. June 22, 2003. Retrieved April 13, 2010.
- "MU Physicist Defends Einstein's Theory And Speed Of Gravity Measurement". Space Daily. October 4, 2007. Retrieved April 17, 2010.
- Kopeikin, Sergei; Fomalont, Edward (2007). "Gravimagnetism, causality, and aberration of gravity in the gravitational light-ray deflection experiments". General Relativity and Gravitation. 39: 1583–1624. Bibcode:2007GReGr..39.1583K. arXiv: . doi:10.1007/s10714-007-0483-6.
- Kopeikin, Sergei; Fomalont, Edward (2006). "Aberration and the Fundamental Speed of Gravity in the Jovian Deflection Experiment". Foundations of Physics. 36: 1244–1285. Bibcode:2006FoPh...36.1244K. arXiv: . doi:10.1007/s10701-006-9059-7.
- Pepe, Alberto; Kurtz, Michael J. (November 2012). "A Measure of Total Research Impact Independent of Time and Discipline". PLoS ONE. 7 (11). Bibcode:2012PLoSO...746428P. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0046428. e46428. Retrieved 8 November 2013.