|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Edward Fortyhands, sometimes known as Edward Ciderhands or Amy Winehands, is a drinking game in which each player duct tapes a 40-ounce or 1.14 liter bottle of alcohol (usually malt liquor, but sometimes cider, scrumpy, or wine) to each of their hands and may not remove the tape until the drinks have been consumed. The name is an allusion to the movie Edward Scissorhands.
House rules differ as to whether one may finish and remove one bottle at a time, but before the alcohol in both hands has been completely ingested, the drinking party will typically need use of their hands to, for example, urinate or answer a phone call, so each participant has an incentive to finish their alcohol as quickly as possible. It can also be used as a "goal" for the game: to see who can abstain from these activities until they are finished with their drinks. In some versions, players are allowed to engage these activities so long as they can be accomplished with the alcohol still taped to their hands or if a friend is willing to help. Vomiting is sometimes considered a disqualification.
In popular culture
The game has been mentioned in several television series, including the episode "The Naked Truth" of How I Met Your Mother ', the episode "Super Milo" of Men at Work, the episode "Karl's wedding" of Workaholics on Comedy Central, the unaired pilot for "Raising Hope", the fourth episode "Perfect Health" of "Perfect Couples", a promo for CMT's Redneck Island, the episode "The Beer Mile" of The League and Gossip Girl The Carlyles: Take A Chance On Me.
- Physical Challenge: Edward Forty Hands Liquor Snob. July 7, 2006. Accessed on December 20, 2007.
- "Edward Fortyhands". Real Detroit Weekly. July 21, 2009. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "The 7 Douchiest Theme Parties". Co-ed Magazine. August 22, 2010. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Deutsche Übersetzung des Kulttrinkspiels Edward Fortyhands veröffentlicht". ArtikelPromotion.de. 2012-09-19.
- "Workaholics Dry Guys(TV Episode 2011) - IMDb".
- Ziegesar, Cecily von (2012). Gossip Girl The Carlyles: Take A Chance On Me. Hachette UK.