Edward Grenfell, 1st Baron St Just
Edward Charles Grenfell, 1st Baron St Just (29 May 1870 – 26 November 1941), was a British banker and politician.
He was educated at Harrow School and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he was secretary of the Pitt Club. On graduation, he immediately entered a career in banking with a position in Brown Shipley, and subsequently with Smith Ellison, moving to J. S. Morgan & Co. in 1900 at the invitation of Junius S. Morgan. In 1904 Grenfell became a partner in the bank and in 1910, when J. P. Morgan restructured his London bank, it was renamed Morgan, Grenfell & Co. to reflect his position as senior partner. He was a director of the Bank of England from 1905 to 1940.
Grenfell married Florence Emily Henderson in 1913. In May 1922 he was elected a Unionist Member of Parliament for the City of London in a by-election and held the seat until 1935, when he was raised to the peerage as Baron St Just, of St Just in Penwith in the County of Cornwall. Lord St Just died on 26 November 1941, aged 71, and was succeeded in the barony by his only child Peter George Grenfell (1922-1984).
- "Obituary: Lord St. Just". The Times (49095). 28 November 1941. p. 7.
- "Grenfell, Edward Charles (GRNL889EC)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Fletcher, Walter Morley (2011) . The University Pitt Club: 1835-1935 (First Paperback ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 92. ISBN 978-1-107-60006-5.
- "No. 34176". The London Gazette. 2 July 1935. p. 4241.
- "Obituary: Lord St. Just". The Times (61973). 30 October 1984. p. 12.
-  at Grenfell Family History Site
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs [self-published source][better source needed]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Edward Grenfell
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir Frederick Banbury
|Member of Parliament for City of London
1922 – 1935
With: Sir Frederick Banbury 1922–1924
Sir Thomas Vansittart Bowater 1924–1935
Sir Thomas Vansittart Bowater
Sir Alan Garrett Anderson
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation||Baron St Just
1935 – 1941
Peter George Grenfell