Edward Harrison Compton
Edward Harrison Compton (11 October 1881 – 6 March 1960) was a German landscape painter and illustrator of English descent.
Compton was born in Feldafing in Upper Bavaria, Germany, the second son of notable landscape painter Edward Theodore Compton. He received his early art training from his father, and after a period of study in London at the Central School of Arts and Crafts settled back in Bavaria.
Like his father he was inspired by the Alps to become a mountain painter ("Bergmaler") working in both oils and watercolour. However, an attack of Polio at the age of 28 meant that he had to find more accessible landscapes to paint in Germany, England, northern Italy and Sicily. He also provided illustrations for several travel books published by A & C Black.
He had two sisters, both of whom were artists: Marion Compton, the flowers and still-life painter, and Dora Keel-Compton, flower and mountain painter.
- The Matterhorn
- A mountainous landscape
- Summer Mountain (1905)
- Sheep in a winter landscape (1905)
- South Bavarian countryside with farmhouse near E.H. Compton´s home (1906)
- Virgin of the Wengernalp
- The Matterhorn
- Alpental (1914)
- Church in Mongrivello, Savoyan Alps, Aosta valley entrance (about 1910)
- Berghof (1919)
- Monastery of Säben Klausen in South Tyrol (1919)
- Farm in St. Leonhard (1921)
- Holy Blood (1941)
- Baillie-Grohman, W. A. Tyrol (A & C Black, 1908).
- Baillie-Grohman, W. A & Compton, E. T. Germany (A & C Black, 1912).
- Farrer, Reginald. The Dolomites; King Laurin's Garden (A & C Black, 1913).
- Compton, E.H. Chester watercolours (A & C Black, 1916).
- Newth, J. D. Austria (A & C Black, 1931).
Compton also provided the watercolour frontispiece for Andrews, W. & Lang, E. Old English towns (T W laurie, 1909).
- "Edward Harrison Compton (1881-1960) | The Matterhorn | Books & Manuscripts Auction | Paintings, oil | Christie's". Christies.com. 27 September 2007. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- "Edward Harrison Compton (1881-1960) | A mountainous landscape | Christie's". Christies.com. 13 March 2005. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- "John Mitchell Fine Paintings". Johnmitchell.net. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- "Lot-tissimo - Your Auction Portal, Catalogues, Auctions".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved 22 April 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- S. Wichmann. Compton: Edward Theodore und Edward Harrison, Maler und Alpinisten (Belser, 1999). ISBN 3-7630-2371-2
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edward Harrison Compton.|