Edward Holland (bishop)
|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Colchester|
|Diocese||Diocese of Chelmsford|
|Other posts||Honorary assistant bishop in London and in Europe (2002–present)
Suffragan Bishop in Europe (1986–1995)
|Ordination||1965 (deacon); 1966 (priest)|
|Consecration||22 July 1986|
|Born||28 June 1936|
|Parents||Reginald Holland & Olive Yeoman|
|Alma mater||King's College London|
Edward Holland (born 28 June 1936) is a retired Anglican bishop, who was the Suffragan Bishop in Europe and then the area Bishop of Colchester. He is now an honorary assistant bishop in both the Diocese of London and the Diocese in Europe.
Holland was ordained a deacon in 1965 and a priest in 1966. His first ministry position after ordination was as a curate at Holy Trinity, Dartford. He then served at John Keble Church, Mill Hill. before a period in the Mediterranean.
Holland was consecrated as a bishop in 1986. His first episcopal appointment made use of his experience as the suffragan bishop ("Suffragan Bishop in Europe") of the Diocese in Europe, a diocese often described simply as "in Europe". The suffragan bishop in Europe assists the diocesan bishop. Holland served in this ministry for nine years.
Holland returned to the United Kingdom in 1995, to the Diocese of Chelmsford as Bishop of Colchester. That see is also one of a suffragan bishop, but this diocese is one in which the see is divided into discrete areas of administration (since 1983), so the bishop is more often referred to as an area bishop.
In February 2012, Holland signed an open letter calling for the Church of England to allow its priests to officiate at civil partnership ceremonies in their churches if their conscience allows them to. It was suggested that this would work in the same was as the remarriage of divorced couples, in that no resit would be forced to do so if their conscience did not allow it.
- Debrett's People of Today, London 2008, ISBN 978-1-870520-95-9
- Church website
- Who's Who 1992 (London, A & C Black ISBN 0-7136-3514-2)
- "4: The Dioceses Commission, 1978–2002" (PDF). Church of England. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "London clergy seek right to choose". Church Times. 1 February 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 2008/2009 Lambeth, Church House Publishing ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0
- Changing Attitude – Signatories on the letter to The Times and clergy proctors of London Diocese
|Church of England titles|
|Suffragan Bishop in Europe
|Bishop of Colchester