Edward Hull (geologist)
Edward Hull (21 May 1829 – 1917), M.A., L.L.D., F.R.S., a geologist and stratigrapher, held the position of Director of the Geological Survey of Ireland. He was also a professor of geology in the Royal College of Science, Dublin. His dates are listed in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
He joined the Geological Survey of Ireland and worked in Wales and on the Lancashire Coalfield. He worked for the Geological Survey of Scotland (1867-1868) and led an expedition to survey parts of Arabia Petraea and Palestine (1883). He became Director of the Irish branch of the Survey and retired in 1891. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in June, 1867. He was President of the Royal Geological Society of Ireland in 1873.
Edward Hull’s obituarist wrote of him, “He maintained the honour of a gentleman.” 
- The Physical Geology and Geography of Ireland, published by Edward Stranforth, London, 1878.
- Hull, Edward (1886). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoir on the Physical Geology and Geography of Arabia Petraea. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Hull, Edward (1892). Volcanoes: Past and Present. London: Walter Scott, Ltd.
- The Wallchart of World History This book has been updated in the late 20th century and 21st century.
- The Coal-fields of Great Britain: Their History, Structure and Resources 1861, in which Hull mentions the coal fields of Arley, and in which he suggests that the Romans may have mined for coal.
- Geology of Belfast and the Lagan Valley: (One-Inch Geological Sheet 36) by H. E. Wilson and Edward Hull and Manning, P. I. and James Andrew Robbie.
- Memoirs of a Strenuous Life (his 1909 autobiography)
- "History of Science: Nature (February 3, 1870)". Retrieved 2006-09-16.
- "Library and Archive Catalogue". Royal Society. Retrieved 23 November 2010.
- "Hull, Professor Edward". Who's Who. Vol. 59. 1907. pp. 892–893.
- Cambridge journals: where this text is recorded Geological Magazine, n.s. decade 6, IV (1917), 553-5, at page 555.
- British Library's Integrated Catalogue's record for the original version
- Google Book Search entry for updated version
- Exodus Books' review for the updated version
- British Library's Integrated Catalogue's record for the updated version
- Aldridge, Bill (April 2001). "Remarkable New Discoveries". The Wigan Archaeological Society's monthly newsletter No. 42. The Wigan Archaeological Society. Retrieved 2009-02-18.
|This biographical article about a geologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|