Impey addressing a conference in 2010
Edward Alexander Impey
28 May 1962
|Known for||Director General of the Royal Armouries (2013—present)|
|Title||Master of the Armouries|
Karen Lundgren (m. 2008)
|Awards||Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London |
Fellow of the Royal Historical Society
|Education||Dragon School |
|Alma mater||Oriel College, Oxford|
|Thesis||The origins and development of non-conventual monastic dependencies in England and Normandy 1000–1350 (1991)|
|Discipline||History and archaeology|
Edward Alexander Impey, FSA, FRHistS (born 28 May 1962) is a British historian, archaeologist, and museum curator. Since October 2013, he has been Master of the Armouries and Director General of the Royal Armouries.
Early life and education
Impey was born on 28 May 1962 to Oliver Impey and Jane Impey (née Mellanby). His father was a zoologist by training who became specialist in Japanese art, and his mother is a neuroscientist. He grew up in the City of Oxford where he father was a curator at the Ashmolean Museum. He was educated at the Dragon School, a preparatory school in Oxford, and at Bedales School, an independent school near Petersfield, Hampshire.
Impey has degrees in history and archaeology. He studied at Oriel College, Oxford, graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree and a Master of Philosophy (MPhil) degree. At Oxford, the BA is promoted to a Master of Arts (MA Oxon) degree a number of years after graduating, and an MPhil is a two-year taught master's degree. He remained at the University of Oxford to undertake postgraduate research, and completed his Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil) degree in 1991. His doctoral thesis was titled " The origins and development of non-conventual monastic dependencies in England and Normandy 1000–1350".
Impey worked as a curator at Historic Royal Palaces and served as Director of Heritage Protection and Planning at English Heritage. On 30 July 2013, he was announced as the next Master of the Armouries and Director General of the Royal Armouries. He took up the appointments in October 2013 in succession to Lieutenant-General Jonathon Riley. Along with John Goodall, Impey is a patron of the Castle Studies Trust, a UK registered charity.
- "Royal Armouries appoints new Director General". Royal Armouries. 30 July 2013. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "IMPEY, Dr Edward Alexander". Who's Who 2016. Oxford University Press. November 2015. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "Oliver Impey". The Daily Telegraph. 31 October 2005. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "Director General and Master of the Armouries". Royal Armouries. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- Impey, Edward (1991). "The origins and development of non-conventual monastic dependencies in England and Normandy 1000–1350". Electronic Thesis Online Service. The British Library. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "About the CST". Castle Studies Trust. Retrieved 6 August 2016.
- "Dr Edward A M Impey FSA". Fellows Directory. Society of Antiquaries of London. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
Lieutenant-General Jonathon Riley
| Master of the Armouries
2013 to present