Edward John Hutchins
Birth and education
Hutchins was the son of Edward Hutchins of Gloucester and his wife, Sarah Guest, a sister of the MP and ironfounder Sir Josiah John Guest. He was educated at Charterhouse School and St John's College, Cambridge.
Hutchins was elected as an MP for Penryn and Falmouth in January 1840 with a majority of 221 and sat until the general election of 1841. His opponent was the Conservative, Mr Carne, who polled 238 votes.
Finally he was returned for Lymington at a by-election, in April 1850. He held the seat until his retirement from Parliament in 1857.
After Cambridge, Hutchins joined his uncle, Sir John Josiah Guest, running the family business, the Dowlais Iron Works. In 1851, Hutchins became the Chairman of the Rhymney Iron Works, holding the chairmanship until 1875.
He was Provincial Grand Master of South Wales from 1848 to 1856 
He died after a lingering illness in Hastings.
This article incorporates text from The Times, 19 February 1876, issue 28557, p. 7, Column D, a publication now in the public domain in the United States.
- "Hutchins, Edward John (HTCS828EJ)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- 1840 Falmouth & Penryn Election result The Times, 27 January 1840, issue 17264, p.5, Column C
- The Times, Tuesday, 14 June 1870; p.5; Issue 26776; col A: The Education Bill. Meeting Of Catholics At Norfolk-House.
- "The London School Board". The Morning Post. 1 December 1870. p. 2.
- Illustrated history of the Loyal Cambrian Lodge 1810-1914 by James Fraser (1914)pp.67-68, available online at Internet archive
- Advertisement of a General Meeting of shareholders of the L&SW Railway to appoint a new Director in 'The Times, 18 September 1875, issue 28424, p.5, Column B
- The Times, Friday, 20 August 1858; p.5; Issue 23077; col D: Railway Intelligence: Taff Valley Wagon Company half-year meeting and The Times, Wednesday 23 February 1859; p. 10; Issue 23237; col E: Railway Intelligence: Taff Valley Wagon Company half-year meeting
- The Times, Thursday, 28 August 1873; p. 6; Issue 27780; col C: Railway and Other Companies - Taff Valley Wagon Company half-year meeting
- "Maryland, Marriages, 1666-1970," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F4J4-54D : accessed 29 March 2012), Edward John Hutchins (1838).
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Edward John Hutchins
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir Robert Rolfe
James William Freshfield
|Member of Parliament for Penryn and Falmouth
With: James William Freshfield
John Cranch Walker Vivian
James Hanway Plumridge
William Alexander Mackinnon
Hon. George Keppel
|Member of Parliament for Lymington
With: William Alexander Mackinnon 1850–52
Sir John Rivett-Carnac 1852–57
Sir John Rivett-Carnac
William Alexander Mackinnon