Edward Kelly (bishop)
Edward J. Kelly, D.D.
|Bishop of Boise|
|Diocese||Boise (all of Idaho)|
|Predecessor||Daniel Mary Gorman|
|Successor||James Joseph Byrne |
|Ordination||June 2, 1917|
|Consecration||March 6, 1928|
|Birth name||Edward Joseph Kelly|
February 26, 1890|
The Dalles, Oregon, U.S.
|Died||April 21, 1956
|Buried||Morris Hill Cemetery
|Parents||James Leo Kelly
Henrietta (Wakefield) Kelly
|Alma mater||Columbia University (OR)|
Edward Joseph Kelly (February 26, 1890 – April 21, 1956) was a Roman Catholic clergyman from the United States. He was a bishop and led the Diocese of Boise, encompassing all of Idaho, for nearly three decades.
Kelly was born in The Dalles, Oregon, the third of five children of James Leo and Henrietta (née Wakefield) Kelly. He received his early education at St. Mary's Academy in his native city, and made his classical studies at Columbia University in Portland.
Kelly was ordained a priest in Rome on June 2, 1917. He then served as a missionary in the Diocese of Baker City until 1919, when he became secretary to Bishop Joseph Francis McGrath and chancellor of the diocese.
On December 16, 1927, Kelly was appointed the third Bishop of Boise City, Idaho, by Pope Pius XI. He received his episcopal consecration on March 6, 1928 from Bishop McGrath, with Bishops Mathias Clement Lenihan and Charles Daniel White serving as co-consecrators. During a visit to Vatican City in 1934, Kelly was granted a private audience with Pope Pius XI, conducted in Italian.
Kelly served as Bishop of Boise for 28 years, until his death at age 66 in 1956. He died of a heart attack while preparing to celebrate an early Saturday morning Mass, and was succeeded by James Joseph Byrne of St. Paul, Minnesota.
Bishop Kelly High School in west Boise, opened in 1964, is named in his honor.
- "Byrne is named bishop of Idaho". Spokane Daily Chronicle. Associated Press. June 20, 1956. p. 1.
- Curtis, Georgina Pell (1961). The American Catholic Who's Who. XIV. Grosse Pointe, Michigan: Walter Romig.
- "Bishop of Boise designated". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Associated Press. December 17, 1927. p. 3.
- "Bishop Edward Joseph Kelly". Catholic-Hierarchy.org.[self-published source]
- "Bishop Kelly has visit with Pope". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Associated Press. March 27, 1934. p. 5.
- "Bishop Edward J. Kelly of Boise Diocese succumbs to heart attack". Lewiston Morning Tribune. April 22, 1956. p. 1.
|Catholic Church titles|
Daniel Mary Gorman
|Bishop of Boise City
James Joseph Byrne