Edward Mooney House
Edward Mooney House
Manhattan, New York City
|Built||between 1785 and 1789|
|Architectural style||Georgian, Early Federal|
|NRHP reference #||76001245|
|Added to NRHP||December 12, 1976|
|Designated NYCL||August 23, 1966|
The Edward Mooney House located at 18 Bowery at the corner of Pell Street in the Chinatown neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City was built between 1785 and 1789 for wealthy butcher Edward Mooney on land he purchased after it was confiscated from British Loyalist James De Lancey.
The brick house was built in a mixture of Georgian and Federal styles, and is the earliest remaining townhouse in the Early Federal style in the city. It has three stories plus an attic and full basement. The home was located close to the slaughterhouses, holding pens and tanneries where Mooney made his living; he occupied the house until his death c.1800.
In 1807, the size of the house was doubled by an addition to the rear. The house would be used as a private residence until the 1820s after which it has served at various times as a hotel, brothel and saloon.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Manhattan below 14th Street
- List of New York City Designated Landmarks in Manhattan below 14th Street
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission Edward Mooney House Designation Report Archived 2012-02-18 at the Wayback Machine. (August 23, 1966)
- "Edward Mooney House". New York Architecture website. 2010-08-20.
- New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission; Dolkart, Andrew S.; Postal, Matthew A. (2009), Postal, Matthew A., ed., Guide to New York City Landmarks (4th ed.), New York: John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 978-0-470-28963-1 p.45
- Media related to Edward Mooney House at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a historic property or district in Manhattan, New York City, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in Manhattan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|