|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
8 April 1923|
Quaker Road, Cork City, County Cork, Irish Free State (present-day Republic of Ireland)
|Died||24 May 1997
Van Nuys, California, U.S.
|Cause of death||Lung cancer|
Edward Mulhare (8 April 1923 – 24 May 1997) was an Irish actor whose career spanned five decades. He is best known for his starring roles in two television series, The Ghost & Mrs. Muir and Knight Rider.
Early life and career
Mulhare, one of three brothers, was born at 22 Quaker Road, Cork, County Cork, in what was then known as the Irish Free State to John and Catherine (née Keane) Mulhare. As a child, he received his education at St. Nessan's Christian Brothers School, and later North Monastery. Mulhare, as a young adult, began schooling at the National University of Ireland in medicine, but eventually decided upon a career in theatre. After acting in various Irish venues including the Gate Theatre in Dublin, he moved to London, where he worked with Orson Welles and John Gielgud.
His first television appearance was in 1956 in a production of The Adventures of Robin Hood. He was a guest panelist in 1958 on the CBS television game show What's My Line? By 1965, he was back in Hollywood appearing in films and television shows. He earned a role in the films Von Ryan's Express in 1965, Our Man Flint in 1966, and Caprice in 1967. He guest-starred in television programs, including the Twelve O'Clock High episode "Siren Voices" as Luftwaffe Colonel Kurt Halland. He also guest-starred in "Experiment In Terra", an episode of the original Battlestar Galactica. In The Ghost & Mrs. Muir, a supernatural sitcom that ran from 1968 to 1970, he starred as Captain Daniel Gregg, and again was something of a successor to Rex Harrison, who had originated the role of "The Ghost" in the original 1947 film. In the mid-1980s, Mulhare hosted the television series Secrets & Mysteries, also called Secrets of the Unknown, a magazine show that examined historical mysteries and the paranormal. His most famous role was probably as Devon Miles in the Knight Rider series.
He starred in a number of films in his career including Megaforce and Out to Sea. His final role was on Baywatch Nights alongside former Knight Rider co-star David Hasselhoff in 1997.
Mulhare died of lung cancer on 24 May 1997, aged 74, at his home in Van Nuys, California. He had been battling the cancer for five months prior to his death. Team Knight Rider dedicated an episode titled "K.R.O.", to Mulhare's memory (broadcast 27 October 1997). He is buried in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Tory Top Road, Cork City, Ireland.
- Captain Boycott (1947) .... Foster's Secretary (uncredited)
- Giv'a 24 Eina Ona (1955) .... James Finnegan
- The Adventures of Robin Hood .... (1956) .... Various
- The Outer Limits (ABC-TV): "The Sixth Finger" (1963) .... Professor of Genetics
- Mr. Novak (NBC-TV, 1963): "He Who Can Does" .... Rand Hardy
- Signpost to Murder (1964) .... Dr. Mark Fleming
- Von Ryan's Express (1965) .... Capt. Costanzo
- Daniel Boone (1965) (TV series) ....Season 2, Episode 1 "Empire of the Lost"....Colonel Worthing
- Our Man Flint (1966) .... Malcolm Rodney
- Caprice (1967) .... Sir Jason Fox
- Eye of the Devil (1967) .... Jean-Claude Ibert
- The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (1968) TV Series .... Capt. Daniel Gregg
- Gidget Grows Up (1969) (TV) .... Alex MacLaughlin
- The Streets of San Francisco (ABC-TV series season 1 episode 5) Tower Beyond Tragedy (1972).... Amory Gilliam, (season 3 episode 6) One Chance To Live (1974).... Brian Downing
- Ellery Queen (1976) (TV) (Season 1, episode 18 "Adventure of the Two-Faced Woman").... Myles Prescott
- Hunter (1977) (TV series)...Season 1, Episode 1 "Bluebird is Back"
- Hart to Hart (1979) (TV) .... Season 1, Episode 12 "The Man with Jade Eyes"
- Megaforce (1982) .... General Edward Byrne-White
- Knight Rider (1982) TV Series .... Devon Miles
- Murder, She Wrote (1986) TV Series .... Season 2, Episode 17 "One Good Bid Deserves A Murder"
- MacGyver (1986) TV series .... Guy Roberts
- B-17: The Flying Fortress (1987) (voice) .... Narrator
- Secrets & Mysteries (1988) TV series .... Host
- Knight Rider 2000 (1991) .... Devon Miles
- Hart to Hart: Secrets of the Hart (1995) (TV)
- Baywatch Nights (1997) .... Dr. Lancaster (1 episode)
- Out to Sea (1997) .... Cullen Carswell (final film role)
- Vallance, Tom (27 May 1997). "Obituary: Edward Mulhare". The Independent. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Eyman, Scott (20 March 2013). "She’s truly a delight". Palm Beach Post. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- What's My Line? - Xavier Cugat & Abbe Lane; Edward Mulhare (panel) (26 January 1958)
- Saxon, Wolfgang (28 May 1991). "Edward Mulhare, 74, an Actor Who Moved From Stage to TV". The New York Times. Associated Press. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Reed, Mack (25 May 1997). "Edward Mulhare; TV, Film, Stage Actor". Los Angeles Times (Obituary). AP. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edward Mulhare.|