Edvard Stanislavovich Radzinsky (Russian: Э́двард Станисла́вович Радзи́нский) (born September 23, 1936) is a Russian playwright, television personality, screenwriter, and the author of more than forty popular history books.
Edvard Stanislavovich Radzinsky was born in Moscow, Russia on September 23, 1936 to playwright Stanislav Radzinsky and his wife Sofia. He studied in the Moscow Archive Institute and is a trained historian. Edvard married actress Alla Geraskina, herself the daughter of the popular Soviet playwright and writer Lia Geraskina, in 1955. Their son, Oleg was born in 1958. Edvard Radzinsky divorced Alla in 1964. He later married Tatiana Doronina, one of the leading Soviet actresses of the 60s-70s. They divorced later. He is currently married to the actress Elena Denisova.
Radzinsky is an author of more than forty popular non-fiction books on historical subjects. Since the 1990s, he has written the series Mysteries of History. The books translated to English include his biographies of Tsars Nicholas II and Alexander II, Rasputin, and Joseph Stalin. His book Stalin: The First In-depth Biography Based on Explosive New Documents from Russia's Secret Archives discusses a number of well known controversies about Joseph Stalin, including the existence of a fuller text of Lenin's Testament, the alleged involvement of Stalin as an agent of the Tsarist secret police, and the role of Stalin in the death of his wife and the murder of Sergey Kirov. According to Radzinsky, Stalin was poisoned by order of Lavrentiy Beria. His book includes an interview with a former bodyguard of Stalin, who stated that on the night of Stalin's death, the bodyguards were relieved of duty by an NKVD officer named Khrustalev. This same officer was briefly mentioned in Memories, the memoir of Stalin's daughter Svetlana Alliluyeva. Radzinsky also supported the hypothesis by Viktor Suvorov that Stalin had prepared a preemptive strike against Nazi Germany for 1941.
Road accident in 2011
In July 10, 2011 in Moscow Oblast on the highway Anosino - Pavlovskaya Sloboda, while driving the car (Volvo XC90) Radzinsky drove it into oncoming traffic and crashed into Nissan X-Trail. 24-year-old girl named Maria Kulikova - passenger second vehicle was killed in accident. According to the wife of a writer, he suffered a heart attack after the accident. At the hospital, his condition is said to have started to worsen, but then he left the hospital. During the investigation Radzinsky admitted his guilt.
Two months after the accident, on September 10th, Edvard Radzinsky presented reading of his new play "Several meetings with Mr. Mozart" in Tchaikovsky Hall , which lasted for three hours.
At the same time, according to Kirill Choporov (fiance of Maria Kulikova who died in accident), "the investigation was delayed because Radzinsky refused to come in for questioning to the police."
According to the investigator to relatives of the deceased, the writer claimed that he could not come to the interview because of the poor state of health.
Six months later, the results of re-examination with Radzinsky all charges were dropped and consequently dismissed against him.
At the same time the driver of "Nissan" Kirill Choporov was accused of committing the accident. Parents Maria Kulikova and Kirill Choporov filed an appeal to the court.
Further investigation proved full guilt of Edvard Radzinsky. But in 2014, the case was closed under the amnesty. In April 2, 2015 the Court sought to Radzinsky two million rubles as compensation for moral damages in favor of Valdimir Kulikov - the father of the deceased Maria Kulikova
- Stalin: The First In-depth Biography Based on Explosive New Documents from Russia's Secret Archives, Anchor, (1997) ISBN 0-385-47954-9
- The Last Tsar : The Life and Death of Nicholas II, 1993, Anchor, ISBN 0-385-46962-4, (2005) ISBN 0-7432-7332-X
- Alexander II: The Last Great Tsar (2005) ISBN 0-7432-7332-X
- Tsar : The Lost World of Nicholas and Alexandra ISBN 0-316-55788-9
- The Rasputin File (2001, Anchor, USA) ISBN 0-385-48910-2
- Rasputin: The Last Word (2001, Allen & Unwin, Australia) ISBN 1-86508-529-4
- «Ипатьевская ночь» © AST, 2007 г.
- «На Руси от ума одно горе» © AST, 2006 г.
- «Начало театрального романа»: Сборник пьес © Издательство «ВАГРИУС», 2004 г.
- Собрание сочинений (в восьми томах) © Издательство «ВАГРИУС», 1998—2003 г.
- «Загадки жизни и смерти». Подарочное издание © Издательство «ВАГРИУС»,2003 г.
- «Княжна Тараканова» © Издательство «ВАГРИУС», 2003 г.
- «Загадки истории». Подарочное издание © Издательство «ВАГРИУС», 2002 г.
- Napoleon: life after death «Наполеон: жизнь после смерти» © Издательство «ВАГРИУС», 2002 г.
- «Игры писателей» © Издательство «ВАГРИУС», 2001 г.
- «Загадки любви» © Издательство «ВАГРИУС», 1999, 2000 гг.
- «Загадки истории» © Издательство «ВАГРИУС», 1999, 2000 гг.
- «Кровь и призраки русской смуты» © Издательство «ВАГРИУС», 1998, 2000 гг.
- «Гибель галантного века» © Издательство «ВАГРИУС», 1999 г.
- «…и сделалась кровь» © Издательство «ВАГРИУС», 1998 г.
- «Властители дум» © Издательство «ВАГРИУС», 1999 г.
- «Театр» © Издательство «Искусство», 1986 г.
- Conversations with Socrates «Беседы с Сократом» © Издательство «Советский писатель», 1982 г.
- David Brandenberger. Reviewed work(s): Stalin: The First In-Depth Biography Based on Explosive New Documents from Russia's Secret Archives by Edvard Radzinsky; H. T. Willetts, Europe-Asia Studies, Vol. 49, No. 1 (Jan., 1997), pp. 176-179
- Radzinsky cited a document preserved in the Military-Memorial Center of the Soviet General Staff, which was a draft of a plan for military strategy in case of war with Germany, drawn up by Georgy Zhukov, dated May 15, 1941, and signed by Aleksandr Vasilevsky and Nikolai Vatutin. The document stated: "In view of the fact that Germany at present keeps its army fully mobilized with its rear services deployed, it has the capacity of deploying ahead of us and striking a sudden blow. To prevent this I consider it important not to leave the operational initiative to the German command in any circumstances, but to anticipate the enemy and attack the German army at the moment when it is in the process of deploying and before it has time to organize its front and the coordination of its various arms".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edvard Radzinsky.|
- His personal website
- peoples.ru: Edvard Radzinsky (Russian)
- aldebaran.ru: Edvard Radzinsky (Russian)
- Телепрограмма "Большая разница" про маленького Эдварда Радзинского от 27.06.2010
- Radzinsky could be found guilty in a car crash
- Radzinsky victim's father does not agree with the conclusions of the experts (Russian)