Edward Stafford, 3rd Baron Stafford
|The Lord Stafford|
|Father||Henry Stafford, 1st Baron Stafford|
|Born||7 January 1535
|Died||18 October 1603|
|Buried||21 Oct 1603
St Mary's Church, Stafford
Edward Stafford, 3rd Baron Stafford (7 January 1535 – 18 October 1603) was the second surviving son of Henry Stafford, 1st Baron Stafford and Ursula Pole, the younger brother of Henry Stafford, 2nd Baron Stafford. He served in Parliament for Stafford and succeeded his brother to the barony in 1566.
He was descended from the Plantagenets through both his parents:
- Henry Stafford, 1st Baron Stafford was a direct descendant of Thomas of Woodstock, youngest son of Edward III, through Thomas' daughter Anne of Gloucester and her husband Edmund Stafford, 5th Earl of Stafford.
- Ursula Pole was the daughter of Margaret Pole, Countess of Salisbury, the daughter of George Duke of Clarence, brother of Edward IV.
- Edward Stafford, 4th Baron Stafford, (1572 – 1625); married Isabel Forster, a chambermaid
- Ursula Stafford; married to Walter Erdeswick
- Dorothy Stafford, (b. bat 1572); married to ____ Gervais of Chadsden
He was succeeded by his son Edward.
Stafford was elected MP for Banbury in 1554. Following his brother Thomas's rebellion, Edward was questioned by the Privy Council on 3 May 1557, but no connection was found. Edward followed his uncle Henry Stafford as Member of Parliament for Stafford in 1558 and 1559 and after his ennoblement was summoned to the House of Lords (1573–1593)
From about 1574, Stafford was patron of a "Lord Stafford's Company of Players", who were first recorded appearing in Barnstaple, appearing often in public records for the next twenty-six years. In 1577, whilst appearing in Southampton, it contained at least ten players. The group continued until at least 1617, under the patronage of the 4th Baron. Other groups of entertainers sponsored by Stafford included a group of bearwards (bear keepers), who appeared with the players in 1579 and a company of trumpeters.
|This section does not cite any sources. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Ancestors of Edward Stafford, 3rd Baron Stafford|
|Peerage of England|
- Biography of Edward Stafford[unreliable source] tudorplace.com from History of Parliament accessed 18 Jan 2010
- Rootsweb genealogy thread
- A general and heraldic dictionary of the peerages of England, Ireland, and Scotland, extinct, dormant and in abeyance by John Burke Publisher, Henry Colburn & Richard Bentley, 1831
- Sampson Erdeswicke, Thomas Harwood, A survey of Staffordshire: containing the antiquities of that county, Printed for and by J. B. Nichols and Son, 1820, Google books accessed 18 Jan 2010
- English Dramatic Companies 1558-1642. Author - John Tucker Murray, Published by London Constable. In Archive.org checked 19 Jan 2010