Edward Sutton, 4th Baron Dudley
Edward Sutton, 4th Baron Dudley (1525 – 12 July 1586) was an English nobleman and soldier. Contemporary sources also refer to him as Sir Edward Dudley.
He served in Ireland (1536) under his uncle Leonard Grey, 1st Viscount Grane, and in Scotland (1546), where in 1547 he was governor of Hume Castle after its capture by the English forces. Hume was retaken by the Scots in December 1548, and Sutton captured. At the end of the war, on 28 March 1550, the Earl of Shrewsbury was asked by the Privy Council to organise his release by the exchange of French hostages to the value of £200.
He was knighted in 1553 and was restored to ownership of his ancestral Dudley Castle, which had been forfeited to the Crown by the attainder of his cousin the Duke of Northumberland in 1554. He was lieutenant of Hampnes, in Picardy, from 1556 to 1558; and entertained Queen Elizabeth at Dudley Castle, 1575.
Edward succeeded his father (known as the "Lord Quondam" that is 'Lord Formerly') as Baron Dudley in 1553. He was buried at St. Margaret's Church, Westminster on 12 August 1586. He was succeeded by his son, Edward Sutton, 5th Baron Dudley (1567–1643).
He was the son of John Sutton, 3rd Baron Dudley and Lady Cicely Grey, daughter of Thomas Grey, 1st Marquess of Dorset; and the grandson of Edmund Sutton, Knight of Dudley Castle and Baron Tibertot and Cherleton (born 1425).
1. Katherine Brydges, the daughter of John Brydges, 1st Baron Chandos and Elizabeth (née Grey) of Wilton (m. 1556)
2. Jane Stanley, (a daughter of Edward Stanley, 3rd Earl of Derby) (m. 1567). By the Lady Jane Stanley he had the following children:
- Edward Dudley, who became the 5th Baron Dudley - (b. 17 September 1567, d. 23 June 1643).
- John Dudley - (b. 30 November 1569, d. c. Feb 1644/45).
3. Mary Howard, the daughter of William, 1st Baron Howard (m. 1570).
- John Roche Dasent, Acts of the Privy Council, vol. 2, HMSO (1890), 421, as 'Edward Dudley.'
- Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900. Subarticle on this Edmund Dudley. .
|Peerage of England|
| Baron Dudley