Edward de Souza
|Edward de Souza|
|Born||Edward James de Souza
4 September 1932
Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
De Souza was the only child of Annie Adeline Swift (née Calvert) and Edward Valentine De Souza Jr. (Rangoon 1881–1947), a Cambridge Graduate of Portuguese Indian descent (his father originated from Goa). De Souza was brought up primarily by his mother, as his father died when De Souza was just 14.
From 1961 to 1966, he starred in the sitcom Marriage Lines with Richard Briers and Prunella Scales. De Souza had roles in the Hammer films The Phantom of the Opera (1962) and The Kiss of the Vampire (also 1962).
In 1965, he appeared as the lead in the Doctor Who story Mission to the Unknown – the only story ever broadcast in the series not to feature the Doctor in any capacity. In 1977 he played Sheik Hosein in the James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me. He was solicitor "Bonny Bernard" in the first series of Rumpole of the Bailey (1978). Also in 1978, he appeared in The Sweeney "Hearts and Minds", the last episode to be filmed, which featured the popular comedians Morecambe and Wise. In 1982 he appeared in the final Sapphire & Steel adventure as "The Man". He also appeared in the television version of After Henry (1989–90), Farrington and, earlier, took the part of Soveral (the Portuguese Ambassador to Britain) in Edward the Seventh (1975). One of his less-known roles was his part in The Golden Compass, in 2007, playing the Second High Councillor. In succession to the originator of the role, Valentine Dyall, he was The Man in Black on BBC Radio 4 between 1988 and 1992. de Souza played the role of Afonso in One Foot in the Grave One Foot in the Algarve (1993).
- The Fourth Square (1961) - 1st Reporter
- The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (1961) - (uncredited)
- The Phantom of the Opera (1962) - Harry Hunter
- The Kiss of the Vampire (1963) - Gerald Harcourt
- The Main Chance (1964) - Michael Blake
- Jules Verne's Rocket to the Moon (1967) - Henri
- The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - Sheikh Hosein
- The Thirty Nine Steps (1978) - Woodville
- On a Paving Stone Mounted (1978)
- The Golden Lady (1979) - Yorgo Praxis
- Home Before Midnight (1979) - Archer
- The Return of the Soldier (1982) - Edward
- Jane Eyre (1996) - Mason
- The Golden Compass (2007) - Second High Councilor
- Grave Tales (2011) - Mr. Petersen
- Mr. Turner (2014) - Thomas Stothard
- "Index entry". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- Edward de Souza imdb page
- Interview with Edward de Souza kaldorcity.com. Originally published in Celestial Toyroom issue 384.
- BBC - Doctor Who Classic Series Episode Guide - Mission to the Unknown - Details
- Chapman, James (2007). Licence to thrill: a cultural history of the James Bond films. I. B. Tauris. ISBN 1-86064-387-6.
- "Corrie, 'Oaks, Emmerdale". DigitalSpy. 28 October 2008.
- Coronation Street legend Rita quits Kabin | The Sun | Showbiz