Edwin Bidwell Wilson
|Edwin Bidwell Wilson|
|Born||April 25, 1879|
|Died||December 28, 1964(aged 85)|
|Alma mater||Yale University
|Institutions||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Doctoral advisor||Josiah Willard Gibbs|
|Doctoral students||Jane Worcester|
Edwin Bidwell Wilson (April 25, 1879 – December 28, 1964) was an American mathematician and polymath. He was the sole protégé of Yale's physicist Josiah Willard Gibbs and was mentor to MIT economist Paul Samuelson. He received his AB from Harvard College in 1899 and his PhD from Yale University in 1901, working under Gibbs.
- "Obituary: Edwin B. Wilson". Physics Today. 18 (6): 88. June 1965. doi:10.1063/1.3047526.
- How I Became an Economist by Paul A. Samuelson, 1970 Laureate in Economics, 5 September 2003
- E.B. Wilson (1902) Vector Analysis: A Text-book for the Use of Students of Mathematics and Physics, based upon the lectures of Willard Gibbs
- "Products in Additive Fields von E. B. Wilson aus New Haven". Verhandlungen des dritten Internationalen Mathematiker-Kongress, Heidelberg, 1904. Leipzig: Teubner. 1905.
- List of ASA Fellows, retrieved 2016-07-16.
- Edwin B. Wilson (1904) "The Foundations of Mathematics", Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society 11(2):74–93
- Edwin B. Wilson & Gilbert N. Lewis (1912) "The Space-time Manifold of Relativity. The Non-Euclidean Geometry of Mechanics and Electromagnetics" Proceedings of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences 48:387–507
- E.B. Wilson (1912) Advanced Calculus on Google Books
- E.B. Wilson (1920) Aeronautics: A Class Text, John Wiley & Sons, link from Internet Archive
- Jerome Hunsaker and Saunders MacLane (1973) Biographical Memoirs v. 43, pp. 285–320, National Academy of Sciences of USA.
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Edwin Bidwell Wilson", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Edwin Bidwell Wilson at the Mathematics Genealogy Project