Edwin Gifford was educated at Shrewsbury and St John's College, Cambridge. He was ordained in 1845. He was Second Master at his old school then Head Master of King Edward's School, Birmingham and an honorary Canon of Worcester. Later he was Rector of Walgrave  then Much Hadham. From 1884 to 1889 he was Archdeacon of London.
He died on 4 May 1905.
- Glory of God in Man, 1864
- Voices of the Prophets
- Romans in the Speaker's Commentary, 1881
- Authorship of Psalm cx, 1892
- St Cyril of Jerusalem in the Library of Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, 1894
- “Who was Who” 1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- "Gifford, Edwin Hamilton (GFRT838EH)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Ordinations Lichfield The Times Friday, Dec 26, 1845; pg. 6; Issue 19117; col A
- Uncle of Thomas Hardy’s first wife
- National Archives
- Obituary. Dr. E. H. Gifford. The Times Saturday, May 06, 1905; pg. 10; Issue 37700; col D
- "Neal Oxborrow". Retrieved 2013-06-25.
|Church of England titles|
Piers Calverley Claughton
| Archdeacon of London
1884 – 1889
William Macdonald Sinclair