|Solicitor General of the United States|
January 16, 2009 – March 19, 2009
|President||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Gregory G. Garre|
|Succeeded by||Elena Kagan|
|Born||January 4, 1946|
|Education||Lehigh University (BA)|
University of Virginia (JD)
Edwin S. Kneedler (born January 4, 1946) is an American lawyer who has served as Deputy United States Solicitor General since 1993.
Early life and education
Kneedler attended North Penn High School; he graduated in 1963. Kneedler earned a B.A. degree in economics in 1967 from Lehigh University. He then earned a J.D. degree from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1974. From 1974 until 1975, he clerked for Judge James R. Browning on the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Kneedler was admitted to the bar of the state of Oregon in 1975.
In October 1975, Kneedler joined the Office of Legal Counsel in the United States Department of Justice. He then joined the office of the Solicitor General in June 1979. He was appointed a Deputy Solicitor General in 1993. On March 17, 2008, he argued his 100th case before the Supreme Court.
Kneedler became Acting Solicitor General on January 20, 2009, with the expiration of the presidential term of George W. Bush. Kneedler was appointed by Bush on January 16, 2009 to replace Gregory G. Garre, whose term as Solicitor General concluded on January 16, 2009. Kneedler's tenure as Acting United States Solicitor General ended on March 19, 2009, with the confirmation of Elena Kagan.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-10-16. Retrieved 2009-01-21.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Harvard International Law Journal – Page 2008 – The oldest and most-cited student-edited journal of international law, the Harvard International Law Journal covers a wide variety of topics in public and private international law". www.harvardilj.org.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2009-01-21.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Milestone for the New Millennium". The BLT: The Blog of Legal Times.
- Liptak, Adam (8 June 2018). "Kneedler Will Be Solicitor General, Briefly".
Gregory G. Garre
| Solicitor General of the United States