Ee Adutha Kaalathu
|Ee Adutha Kaalathu|
The familiar becomes strange and the strange familiar...
|Directed by||Arun Kumar Aravind|
|Produced by||Raju Malliath|
|Written by||Murali Gopy|
|Music by||Gopi Sunder
|Edited by||Arun Kumar Aravind|
|Box office||₹2.24 crore (US$330,000)|
Ee Adutha Kaalathu (Malayalam: ഈ അടുത്ത കാലത്ത്, English translation: In Recent Times) is a 2012 Indian black comedy film written by Murali Gopy and directed by Arun Kumar Aravind. The film marks the second directorial venture by Arun Kumar Aravind, after his notable directorial debut Cocktail (2010). Kerala State Award winning cinematographer Shehnad Jalal handled the camera.
The narrative is patterned like a Rubik's Cube; it's a brainy entertainer that mixes various genres. It features the lives of six different persons from different strata of the social life of the city, interconnected due to unexpected events beyond their control. Bengali model and theater artiste Tanushree Ghosh makes her debut in Malayalam cinema with this film. The cast includes Indrajith, Murali Gopy, Anoop Menon, Nishan, Jagathy Sreekumar and Mythili. The music is composed by Gopi Sundar and the lyrics are by Rafeeq Ahmed.
The film was released on 24 February 2012 in Kerala to positive reviews. The film is considered a path-breaker for its bold and realistic narration and the innovative style of weaving story threads together. It was screened at the Malayalam Cinema Today category of the 17th International Film Festival of Kerala, where it won the NETPAC Award for Best Malayalam Film. Discussions are underway for the Hindi remake of the movie.
MalluDeals.com gave Ee Adutha Kalathu the ranking of No 2 among the Top 10 Malayalam Movies of 2012.
Vishnu is an unemployed man who makes toys from garbages for the living. He has a wife named ' Ramani ' two daughters and mother. Ajay Kurien is a rich businessman who tries to ignore his wife ' Madhuri ' Madhuri is a former Bollywood actress. With a mind blowing climax.
Ee Adutha Kaalathu started the shooting on 12 September 2011 at Thiruvananthapuram. The official teaser was released on 5 September, even before the commencement of shooting. The teaser has been highly appreciated for its originality, the use of Malayalam words and for the background score. The second schedule of shooting started on 28 October. Almost the whole movie was shot at Thiruvananthapuram except for few scenes which were shot at Nagercoil. The theatrical trailer was released on 27 January which became a hit in YouTube and social networking sites.
The theme song Naatil Veetil and the trailer have generated tremendous buzz for the movie online.
The promotional campaigns carry the caption - '"Reality is a Movie... that stars You And only You. In this movie, there are no Good People, no Bad People, only Unfortunate People.. Who hunt for a Fortune.. This Season.. Get Ready For an Adventure.. Into Your Own World!"'
The movie has done away with the concept of Good vs Evil. It explores the way people sway to situations, drawing their energy from things that are socially considered both good and bad.
- Indrajith Sukumaran as Vishnu
- Murali Gopy as Ajay Kurien
- Anoop Menon as Tom Cherian
- Nishan as Rustam
- Tanu Roy as Madhuri Kurien
- Mythili as Ramani
- Lena as Roopa
- Jagathy Sreekumar as Bonacaud Ramachandran
- Baiju as Watson
- Manikandan Pattambi as Sundaram
- Gimi George as Shyleja
- Indrans as House broker
- Krishna Prabha as Bindu
- Baby Eva as Minnu, Vishnu's daughter
- Baby Vaishnavi as Chinnu, Vishnu's daughter
- Master Ramzan as Ayur
- KPAC Leelamani as Paatti
- Anitha Nair as Ratnam
- Manga Mahesh as Ramachandran’s wife
- Santhakumari as Vishnu's mother
- Kalabhavan Haneef as Mammootty
- Sajitha Madathil as Madhuri's mother
- Riza Bawa as Madhuri's father
- Dinesh Panicker as Minister
- Prem Prakash as Psychiatrist
- Gopalji as S.I. Somashekaran
- Felix JK as Suleiman Bhai
- Biju Varkey as Vicar
- Shine Tom Chacko as Serial killer
- Dinesh as Trichur goon
|Ee Adutha Kaalathu|
Album cover for Ee Adutha Kaalathu
|Soundtrack album by Gopi Sundar|
|Recorded||Sunsa Digital Work Station, Chennai|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Manorama Music |
The soundtrack features three songs composed by Gopi Sundar, with lyrics by Rafeeq Ahamed. The background score of the film has been composed by Gopi Sundar. The sound track was released by Manorama Music.
|1||Oru Vazhiyai||Vijay Yesudas, Nayana Nair||Gopi Sundar||Rafeeq Ahamed|
|2||O Ponthoovalai||Sithara, Rahul Nambiar||Gopi Sundar||Rafeeq Ahamed|
|3||Naatil Veetil||Gopi Sundar, Anna Katharina Valayil||Gopi Sundar||Rafeeq Ahamed|
The film was released on 24 February in 63 centers inside Kerala. The film received positive reviews from the audiences and critics alike and has become a hit. It was mostly welcomed by the youth. The positive critical response from the viewers shows the thirst of viewers for varied films, rather than star, action oriented masala films.
Malayala Manorama called the film "A must watch movie" and commented that "By the loud, standing ovation at the end, when the lights are on, Arun Kumar can rest assured that he has established himself as a director who has once again successfully brought about the phenomenal change Malayalam cinema has ever been thirsting for".
Indiaglitz.com rated the film (3.5/5) and said that "'Ee Adutha Kalathu' is one movie that is a definite prescription for a demanding viewer. A well-made film that works for its powerful plot and structuring, engaging script, and super performances." Metromatinee.com rated the movie as "Excellent" and said "'Ee Adutha Kalathu' is a remarkably refreshing and sensitive movie making a candid statement of life in the cities".
Veeyen of Nowrunning.com rated the film (3/5) and said, "Arun Kumar Aravind's 'Ee Adutha Kaalathu' is an emotionally bruising film that is oxymoronic to the core; it's the kind of film that is pleasingly depressing, casually engrossing and placidly terrorizing. A must-watch in short!"
- Mohan Raghavan Foundation Awards
- Best Script - Murali Gopy
- Asiavision Movie Awards
- Outstanding Movie
- Best Editor – Arun Kumar Aravind
- New Sensation in Script – Murali Gopy
- Best Anti-hero – Murali Gopy
- Outstanding Performance – Indrajith
- New Promise in Singing – Anna Katharina
- Nana Film Awards
- Second Best Movie
- Best Script Writer - Murali Gopy
- Second Best Actor - Indrajith
- Second Best Actress - Lena
- P. Bhaskaran Foundation Awards
- Best Story - Murali Gopy
- Sathyan Award
- The Best Actor - Indrajith Sukumaran
- The Best Anti-Hero - Murali Gopy
- Pending—Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Lena
- Pending—Best Actor in a Negative Role - Murali Gopy
- Malayalam Films of 2013
- "The new ‘Cocktail’ party". The New Indian Express. 2011-07-24. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- "Arunkumar's next movie titled Ee Adutha Kaalathu". Oneindia.in. 2011-07-29. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- Zacharias, Usha (2011-06-04). "Focus on perfection". The Hindu (Chennai, India).
- "Jeeva girl in tinsel world".
- "Arunkumar ready for his second". Indiaglitz.com. 2011-07-27. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- "Ee Aduthakalathu - Unusual narratives for 'Ee Adutha kalathu'".
- ""E Adutha Kalathu" from Tommorrow..". Metromatinee.com. 2011-09-11. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- "Ee Adutha Kaalathu opens to a fantastic response"
- "Ee Adutha Kalathu duo teams up again". The Times of India (Indiatimes.com). 2012-04-18.
- "Nine films for IFFK"
- "Curtains down on IFFK, Sta. Nina bags Suvarna Chakoram". Malayala Manorama. 14 December 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- ""Ee Adutha Kalathu" shoot starts from 12 September 2011".
- EE Adutha Kalathu Teaser.
- "Without Doubt, Ee Adutha Kaalathe Best Trailer!".
- "Ee Adutha Kaalath Second Schedule starts".
- E Adutha Kalathu Theme Song. Youtube.com.
- "E Adutha Kalathu Trailer". Youtube.com.
- "EE ADUTHAKAALATH(2012)".
- "Ee Adutha Kaalahthu: A must watch movie". manoramaonline.com.
- "Ee Aduthakalathu Movie Review". indiaglitz.com.
- "Ee Adutha Kalathu Review". Metromatinee. 2012-02-24. Retrieved 2012-02-25.
- Veeyen (2012-02-25). "Ee Adutha kalathu Review". Nowrunning.com. Retrieved 2012-02-25.
- Paresh C. Palicha (2012-02-27). "Ee Adutha Kaalathu is interesting". Rediff. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "Mohan Raghavan film awards". thehindu.com. 17 October 2012. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "çÎÞÙXÜÞÜßÈá¢ ùßÎÏíAá¢ ¯×cÞ Õß×X ¥ÕÞVÁí". manoramaonline.com. 22 October 2012. Retrieved 22 October 2012.
- "Jagathy Sreekumar gets P Bhasakaran award". manoramaonline (Thiruvananthapuram, India). 16 January 2013.