Effective Altruism Global
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Effective Altruism Global, abbreviated EA Global, is a series of philanthropy conferences that focuses on the effective altruism movement. The conferences are run by the Centre for Effective Altruism at Oxford University. Huffington Post editor Nico Pitney described the events as a gathering of "nerd altruists", which was "heavy on people from technology, science, and analytical disciplines".
An original Effective Altruism Summit was hosted in 2013.
In 2015, there were three main EA Global events. The largest was a three-day conference that took place on the Google campus in Mountain View, California with speakers including entrepreneur Elon Musk, computer scientist Stuart J. Russell, and Oxford philosophy professor William MacAskill. There were also conferences in Oxford, UK and Melbourne, Australia. According to MacAskill, the nature of the conferences improved coordination and ideological diversity within effective altruism. Talks included subjects such as "global poverty, animal advocacy, cause prioritization research, and policy change". There were also workshops on choosing careers, Q&A sessions, and panels on running local EA chapters.
At the Google conference, a moderated panel featured Elon Musk with AI researchers on the topic of existential risk from artificial general intelligence. Panel member Stuart Russell stated that AI research should be about "building intelligent systems that benefit the human race". Vox writer Dylan Matthews criticized the event for its perceived focus on existential risk, potentially at the expense of more mainstream causes like fighting extreme poverty.
- "Centre for Effective Altruism Announces Lineup for Effective Altruism Global 2015". Pitchengine. Centre for Effective Altruism. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "About EA Global". EA Global. Centre for Effective Altruism. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- Pitney, Nico (July 16, 2015). "Elon Musk To Address 'Nerd Altruists' At Google HQ". Huffington Post. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "Jaan Tallinn's Keynote - Effective Altruism Summit 2013". Exponential Times. November 13, 2013. Retrieved April 11, 2015.
- Guan, Melody Y. (August 3, 2015). "Elon Musk, Superintelligence, and Maximizing Social Good: A Weekend at History's Largest Gathering of "Effective Altruists"". Huffington Post. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- Townsend, Tess (August 3, 2015). "Elon Musk: AI Is Going to Happen. Let's Prepare For It". Inc. Magazine. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- Matthews, Dylan (August 10, 2015). "I spent a weekend at Google talking with nerds about charity. I came away … worried". Vox Media. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "EA Global 2016". EA Global. Centre for Effective Altruism. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "EA Global 2017". EA Global. Centre for Effective Altruism. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- "EA Global 2018". EA Global. Centre for Effective Altruism. Retrieved 8 June 2018.