Efficiency and Reform Group
|Headquarters||Within HM Treasury building, 1 Horse Guards Road|
|The Rt Hon. Ben Gummer MP, Minister for the Cabinet Office|
|John Manzoni, Chief Executive of the Civil Service|
|Sir Jeremy Heywood, Cabinet Secretary|
The Efficiency and Reform Group (ERG), established in 2010, is part of the Cabinet Office which works in partnership with HM Treasury to form the corporate centre for UK Government. Its objectives are to reform the way government works and to support the transformation of government services by driving cost savings and focusing on growth.
ERG works collaboratively with government departments to identify common areas for savings. It aims to help government departments to deliver at least £20bn of efficiencies in the financial year 2014–15.
The ERG was dissolved in October 2014 as part of the Public bodies transformation programme.
Ways of working
ERG works to achieve these savings in five different clusters:
- Corporate – implementing management information and spending controls and developing the next wave of efficiencies.
- Efficiency – helping government act together as one customer to lower expense.
- Growth – ensuring all of government acts with one plan and seeking opportunities to stimulate UK growth.
- Projects – to ensure the success of government's most significant projects.
- Transformation – transforming public services by delivering digital change and new commercial models.
- Efficiency and Reform Group Cabinet Office
- The Efficiency and Reform Group’s role in improving public sector value for money National Audit Office
- Hold our feet to the fire over efficiency in government The Guardian 6 November 2012
- "Efficiency and Reform Group - GOV.UK". www.gov.uk. Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- Chief executive for civil service appointed GOV.UK 2 October 2014
- The Rt Hon Ben Gummer MP GOV.UK
- Efficiency and Reform Group - About us GOV.UK
- Cabinet Office Controls Guidance Cabinet Office
- Government Procurement Service website
- Major Projects Authority Cabinet Office
- "Civil Service Reform Plan" (PDF). June 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 November 2012. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- Liam Maxwell: user need underpins the government's digital-by-default strategy The Guardian 14 November 2012
- "Government Digital Strategy" (PDF). November 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 November 2012. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- Government Digital Service official webpage