Egg Harbor Township High School
|Egg Harbor Township High School|
|24 High School Drive
Egg Harbor Township, NJ 08234
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Egg Harbor Township Schools|
|Principal||Dr. Terry Charlton|
|Asst. principals||Joel S. Chisholm
|Enrollment||2,360 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.2:1|
|Athletics conference||Cape-Atlantic League|
Egg Harbor Township High School is a comprehensive community public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Egg Harbor Township in Atlantic County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Egg Harbor Township Schools.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 2,360 students and 193.7 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.2:1. There were 844 students (35.8% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 266 (11.3% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 173rd-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 213th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 227th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 217th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 154th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 268th out of 376 public high schools statewide in its 2010 rankings (a decrease of 47 positions from the 2009 rank) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the language arts literacy and mathematics components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The school offers Advanced Placement (AP) courses in AP Computer Science A, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP French Language, AP German Language, AP Spanish Language, AP United States History, AP World History, AP United States Government and Politics, AP Psychology, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Physics B, AP Physics C, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Statistics, AP Latin: Vergil, AP Microeconomics and AP Macroeconomics.
The school offers a business curriculum, including classes such as Introduction to Business and College Accounting.
The Egg Harbor Township High School Eagles compete in the Atlantic Division of the Cape-Atlantic League, an athletic conference consisting of both parochial and public high schools located in Atlantic County, Cape May County, Cumberland County, and Gloucester County, operating under the aegis of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 1,762 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as South Jersey, Group IV for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 1,082 to 1,934 students in that grade range.
Egg Harbor Township has the following interscholastic athletic teams:
The football team captured the Cape Atlantic League title and had been undefeated until they lost by a score of 14-0 to Cherokee High School in the South Jersey Group IV state sectional title game, ending the season with a record of 11-1. The team had won the South Jersey Group III state sectional championships in both 1992 and 1993.
The wrestling team won the South Jersey Group III state sectional championship in 2001.
The school's marching band was Tournament of Bands Chapter One Champion in 1988 (Group 1) and State Champion 2006 (Group 4). In 2008, the band was overall Cavalcade of Bands State Champion throughout all groups. In 2009, the band won state champions and the percussion section won Best Percussion in the Cavalcade of Bands Circuit in the Yankee Conference (group 4). In 2010, the band placed 2nd out of 9 bands in the Liberty A division (Cavalcade of Bands) winning the captions for Best Percussion, Best Visual, and Best Music. In 2011, the band tied for 6th place out of 15 bands in the American Open division, (Cavalcade of Bands), placing as New Jersey State Champions, with their show titled "Rise Above".
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Principal: Dr. Terry Charlton
- Vice Principals: Joel S. Chisholm, Carleena Supp, Mark Walter, and George West
- Directory, Egg Harbor Township High School. Accessed February 26, 2015.
- School data for Egg Harbor Township High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Egg Harbor Township High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 6, 2015.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 12, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 1, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2009-2010, Schooldigger.com. Accessed January 8, 2012.
- "Columbia Scholastic Press Association presents 2000 Scholastic Gold Circle Awards", Columbia Scholastic Press Association. Accessed August 10, 2008.
- Program of Studies 2011-12, Egg Harbor Township High School. Accessed December 8, 2011.
- Business Curriculum, Egg Harbor Township High School. Accessed October 15, 2014.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Gargan, Guy. "Egg Harbor Township crew proves its four-boats rule", The Press of Atlantic City, May 30, 2010. Accessed November 24, 2011.
- Past State Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 14, 2016.
- Staff. "Cherokee 14, Egg Harbor 0 (High school Football scores and results)", The Star-Ledger, December 5, 2009. Accessed November 24, 2011. "Andy Martin threw one touchdown and ran for a score to guide Cherokee, No. 4 in The Star-Ledger Top 20, past No. 7 Egg Harbor, 14-0, yesterday in the NJSIAA/Gatorade South Jersey, Group 4 playoff final before 2,200 in Marlton.The playoff title was the seventh for Cherokee, which last won in 2005. Egg Harbor was seeking its third championship."
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 19, 2015.
- History of The NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 14, 2016.
- Tournament of Bands - Chapter One History, Tournament of Bands. Accessed July 5, 2007.
- Stetser, Laura. "Silver Eagles Marching Band rises to the occasion", Shore News Today, November 30, 2011. Accessed January 8, 2012.
- Principal, Egg Harbor Township High School. Accessed November 6, 2015.
- Lulgjuraj, Susan. "Egg Harbor Township grad Ryan Lancaster signs professional contract in Norway", The Press of Atlantic City, August 3, 2009. Accessed February 1, 2011.
- Egg Harbor Township High School
- Egg Harbor Township Schools
- Egg Harbor Township Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Egg Harbor Township Schools, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Egg Harbor Township HS