Egging is sometimes associated with certain events and holidays. For example, in parts of England and the United States, October 30 is referred to as "Mischief Night," where mischievous teens rub soap bars on car windows, throw eggs at houses, adorn trees with toilet paper, and run away after ringing doorbells. In some areas of Queens, New York, Cabbage Night involved throwing rotten fruit at various neighbors, cars, and buses.
Damage and injury
Eggs are capable of causing damages when thrown at property and egging is considered vandalism in addition to many other severe crimes. Eggs can break windows and, when thrown at cars, can dent a body panel or chip paint where the shell breaks, leaving an oval outline. egg whites can degrade certain types of vehicle and house paint. Whether or not the egg damages the surface beneath it, dried egg can be difficult to remove, and removal attempts with scrapers or abrasives can damage the surface. In addition to physical damages to property, egging of property spreads diseases onto personal and/or public property (depending on the crime). The spread of disease from egging may infect the victim and possibly many victims with E.coli, Salmonella, other viruses, and much more.
Victims of egging may be entitled to compensation commensurate with the cost of repairs, cleaning (including cleaning supplies such as gloves, soap, water (possibly gallons to hose down the egg) and disinfectant) to mend damaged property and spread of disease due to the egging, common charges involved with eggings are damage to property, vandalism and may be liable to nuisance. In some more serious cases where injuries from egging are presented, perpetrators may be charged with assault and fined.
Egging of face causes serious injuries and eye injury  and constitute assault and battery. A nurse was blinded in one eye when an egg was thrown at her from a passing car in March 2008 in Dublin. A boy in Long Island also lost sight in one eye after teens from a local high school threw eggs out of a passing car on Halloween 2005. Medical compensation required for victim of egging due to infections and spread of diseases such as salmonella, E.coli, conjunctivitis and meningitis. Diseases from egging entering the eyes may cause serious infections of the eyes and the membrane of eye tissues, which can spread and further infect the brain damaging eyes, many tissues including the brain functions.
||The examples and perspective in this article may not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (December 2013)|
Eggs are sometimes thrown at people as a form of protest. High-profile people that have been egged as a form of protest include David Cameron, Steve Ballmer, Miloš Zeman, Bronisław Komorowski, Arnold Schwarzenegger, John Prescott, Helmut Kohl, Nick Griffin David Blaine, Richard Prebble, Ed Miliband, Nigel Farage, and John Tsang. Irish bank AIB was egged in response to the Irish banking crisis of 2009. The Chairman of the Ukrainian Parliament was egged by deputies inside the Ukrainian parliament on April 27, 2010 as a protest against a natural gas agreement. During the 2004 Ukrainian presidential election candidate Viktor Yanukovych was rushed to hospital after he had been hit with an egg (while government officials claimed he was hit by a brick) which became a source of ridicule.
- Devil's Night
- Mischief night
- List of practical joke topics
- List of shoe throwing incidents
- Toilet papering
- "Nottingham riots: 11-year-old girl facing criminaldamage charges". Metro UK. 11 August 2011. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- McNerthney, Casey (15 October 2008). "What happens to people caught egging?". Seattle PI. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- Stewart RM. Durnian JM. Briggs MC. "Here's egg in your eye": a prospective study of blunt ocular trauma resulting from thrown eggs. Emergency Medicine Journal. 23(10):756-8, 2006 Oct
- "Egg raid victim granted $70,000". One Perth. 1 February 2011. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- "Nigeria Law, Act-Part V Assaults". Nigeria Law. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- Youth blinded nurse in 'egging' attack from car, Conor Gallagher, Irish Independent, 6 November 2009
- "David Cameron is struck by an egg". BBC News. 21 April 2010.
- Steve Ballmer: Steve Ballmer Egged in Hungary!
- Zemana vypískali na Albertově, ochranka ho bránila před vajíčky
- Crowd hurls eggs, tomatoes at Zeman
- Prezydent Komorowski zaatakowany jajkiem na Ukrainie
- Polish leader egged during visit to Ukraine massacre site
- "Schwarzenegger vows 'people's takeover' of Sacramento". CNN. 2003-09-03. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- "Egg Head". bofunk.com. Retrieved 2006-04-30.
- "Prescott sees red". BBC News. 17 May 2001.
- "Prescott 'regrets' blow". BBC News. 17 May 2001.
- The Guardian
- NZ Eyewitness News, 31 August 1988
- Watch the moment Ed Miliband is egged during campaign visit to London street market
- UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage has been hit by an egg thrown by a protester
- AIB bank in Cork egged by man in suit
- Ukrainian parliament ratifies agreement extending Russian Black Sea Fleet's presence in Crimea, Kyiv Post (April 27, 2010)
- Oppositional deputies throw eggs in Lytvyn, Kyiv Post (April 27, 2010)
- Revolution in Orange, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, ISBN 0-87003-221-6 (page 58 + 59 written by Taras Kuzio)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Egging.|
- The Yolks On You Maynard ABC Australia