Egotheism or Autotheism is the deification or worship of the self. Critics of Johann Gottlieb Fichte and Ralph Waldo Emerson used the terms to label their idea of Transcendentalism. Autolatry is another synonym with the same definition which was also used to label the philosophies of Stirner and Nietzsche.
Several Egyptian kings declared themselves gods during their reign. Identification of the atman (self) with Brahman is a tenet of some sects of Hinduism. In Jainism, one who extinguishes all of their karmas becomes a tirthankara with godlike knowledge and powers.
- Church of Satan
- God complex
- Self religion
- The Essence of Christianity
- Theosis (Eastern Christian theology)
- "Egotheism definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary".
- "Definition of AUTOTHEISM".
- Versluis, Arthur (September 16, 1993). American Transcendentalism and Asian Religions. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-536037-0 – via Google Books.
- "The Contemporary Review". A. Strahan. October 2, 1868 – via Google Books.
- Hurth, Elisabeth (August 30, 2007). Between Faith and Unbelief: American Transcendentalists and the Challenge of Atheism. BRILL. ISBN 9789047421269 – via Google Books.
- Woodress, James Leslie (October 3, 2004). "American Literary Scholarship". Duke University Press – via Google Books.
- "Autolatry definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary".
- Murray, James Augustus Henry (1888). "A New English Dictionary on Historical Principles".
- "Lippincott's Monthly Magazine". 1868.
- Janet, Paul (October 5, 1866). "The Materialism of the Present Day: A Critique of Dr. Büchner's System". H. Baillière – via Google Books.
- Lefsrud, Sigurd (December 30, 2019). Kenosis in Theosis: An Exploration of Balthasar's Theology of Deification. Wipf and Stock Publishers. ISBN 9781532693687 – via Google Books.
- Sabbahy, Lisa K. (April 24, 2019). All Things Ancient Egypt: An Encyclopedia of the Ancient Egyptian World [2 volumes]. ABC-CLIO. ISBN 9781440855139 – via Google Books.
- Orr, Norman (January 29, 2021). Embracing Biological Humanism: Abandoning the Idea of God. Archway Publishing. ISBN 9781480898684 – via Google Books.
- "10 Real People Who Became Gods". September 2, 2016.
- Hewitt, Hugh (March 12, 2007). A Mormon in the White House?: 10 Things Every Conservative Should Know About Mitt Romney. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 9781596980488 – via Google Books.
- Peabody, Elizabeth Palmer. “Egotheism, the Atheism of To-Day” 1858, (reprinted in 1886 in her Last Evening with Allston)