Egypt at the 2004 Summer Paralympics
|Egypt at the
2004 Summer Paralympics
|NPC||Egyptian Paralympic Committee|
|Summer Paralympics appearances|
The Egyptian team included 46 sportspeople, 10 women and 36 men. This was 2 fewer women than the country had sent to Sydney for the 2000 Games. Three members of the delegation, including two athletes, participated in a study about dental health during the Games.
Fatma Omar made her second Paralympic Games appearance in Athens, winning her second gold medal in powerlifting at the Games. This time, she competed in a heavier weight class, -56kg. Metwalli Mathana appeared in his third Paralympic Games. Osama Elserngawy won gold in the Men's 52kg event. Metwaly Ibrahim Mathana set a Paralympic record at the 2004 Games with a lift of 202.5 kg in the 60 kg class. This was more than the world record for the standing class, which at the time was 190 kg.
Egypt finished the Athens Games with 5 gold, 6 silver and 4 bronze medals in powerlifting.
Egyptian broadcasting rights for the 2004 Games were acquired before the start of the Games.
- LAUFF, JACKIE (2007). "DEVELOPING COUNTRY PARTICIPATION IN INTERNATIONAL DISABILITY SPORT COMPETITION: A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE" (PDF). Masters Thesis.
- "Participation Numbers Athens 2004 Paralympic Games". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
- Vougiouklakis, G.; Tzoutzas, J.; Farmakis, E.-T.; Farmakis, E.-E.; Antoniadou, M.; Mitsea, A. (2008-11-01). "Dental Data of the Athens 2004 Olympic and Paralympic Games". International Journal of Sports Medicine. 29 (11): 927–933. doi:10.1055/s-2008-1038489. ISSN 0172-4622.
- "Medal Standings Athens 2004 Paralympic Games". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
- "A promise is a promise", Al-Ahram weekly, November 2, 2000
- "On to the Paralympics". Al-Ahram Weekly (1311). September 8, 2016. Retrieved October 25, 2016.
- "Official Website of the Chinese Olympic Committee". en.olympic.cn. Retrieved 2016-10-26.
- Dichter, Heather; Kidd, Bruce (2013-09-13). Olympic Reform Ten Years Later. Routledge. ISBN 9781135706005.
- "DISABLED SPORTS POWERLIFTING CHALLENGES, ACHIEVEMENTS AND FUTURE VISION IN EGYPT". Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- Gilbert, Keith; Schantz, Otto J.; Schantz, Otto (2008-01-01). The Paralympic Games: Empowerment Or Side Show?. Meyer & Meyer Verlag. ISBN 9781841262659.