|Treasurer of the Conservative Party|
24 July 2019 – September 2021
|Preceded by||Mick Davis|
|Succeeded by||Malik Karim|
|Born||November 1955 (age 67)|
Tel Aviv, Israel
Sheleg was born in Tel Aviv, Israel but is quoted saying “I was brought up, albeit in Israel, with the sentiment of very strong ties to Britain. In the family of nations, this has to be my favourite one. Second to my homeland, of course". His father served with the Royal Air Force in the Second World War.
Sheleg is a director of the Halcyon Gallery in London. It is 50% controlled through a British Virgin Islands company by the Tov Settlement, the Sheleg family trust. He donated over £3.4 million to the Conservative Party, between 2017 and 2019.
In 2022, Labour Party Chair Anneliese Dodds used her parliamentary privilege in The House of Commons to announce that she had written to her Conservative counterpart Oliver Dowden to raise questions over Sheleg’s 2018 donation to the Conservative party. The source for her allegation was a New York Times story, based on the illegal disclosure of a Suspicious Activity Report (SAR). The article claimed Sheleg’s donation came from his Ukrainian father-in-law, Sergei Kopytov, as part of Russian money infiltrating the UK.
However, this claim was investigated by the National Crime Agency with the NCA’s Director of Operations, Steve Rodhouse, stating “As you will be aware, provided a donation comes from a permissible source, and was the decision of the donor themselves, it is permitted under PPERA. This remains the case even if the donor’s funds derived from a gift from an overseas individual”.
The Electoral Commission also investigated the claim and has publicly stated that they have ‘looked into the donation’ and that there is ‘no evidence’ that the party has broken any rules and that they have ‘no plans to investigate further’.
Despite the claim being investigated and dismissed by two separate bodies, the statements made by Anneliese Dodds and The New York Times are yet to be rescinded.
- ltd, company check. "MR EHUD SHELEG director information. Free director information. Director id 901517757". Company Check.
- "Three businessmen who gave over £5m to Tories awarded honours by Theresa May". Left Foot Forward. September 10, 2019.
- Preston, Alex (August 25, 2018). "Meet the Israeli-born art mogul who gave the Tories £500,000 last year... and is set to become party treasurer" – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- "Tel Aviv-born Tory 'surprised' by knighthood".
- "Ehud Sheleg, Tel Aviv-born Tory treasurer 'surprised' by knighthood from Theresa May". www.thejc.com. 16 September 2019. Retrieved 2019-12-13.
- "Search - The Electoral Commission". search.electoralcommission.org.uk. Retrieved 2022-10-07.
- "Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor". www.iskb.co.uk.
- "Revealed: The elite dining club behind £130m+ donations to the Tories". openDemocracy.
- "Conservative Party faces questions over donation, says Labour". BBC News. 2022-05-17. Retrieved 2022-11-10.
- "Hansard: National Security Bill".
- "Labour calls for Tory probe over 2018 donation". ITV News. 2022-05-19. Retrieved 2022-11-10.
- "Israeli-born donor slated to be new Tory treasurer". jewishnews.timesofisrael.com.