Ei Samay Sangbadpatra
The front page of the first edition of Ei Samay
|Owner(s)||The Times Group|
|Publisher||The Times Group|
|Founded||15 October 2012|
|Sister newspapers||The Times of India
The Economic Times
Ei Samay Sangbadpatra is a Bengali-language broadsheet daily newspaper from The Times Group. It was launched as a motive to enter into a head to head competition with Anandabazar Patrika (and its recently launched sister publication (tabloid) Ebela), which is the largest circulated Bengali daily in India, and is also one of the dominant leaders in the Bengali newspaper market. It is owned and published by Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. which is owned by the Sahu Jain family.
This Ei Samay newspaper is considered as a challenge thrown by BCCL to ABP group. Sensing the tough challenge ABP Group had started a huge media advertise campaign just in a month after launch of Ei Samay. The introductory price of this newspaper was ₹1 (1.5¢ US) per copy. According to company officials, this newspaper targets SEC A and A+, 20- to 35-year-old Bengalis. From April 2013, it has revised its price down to Rs. 2.50 from Mon-Fri and Rs.3 on Sat-Sun from its earlier price of Rs.4 & Rs.5 respectively. Although it has been able to eat up some circulation from Bartaman in Kolkata but it lacks a strong presence in the districts. It is also not available in North Bengal. After its launch the established dailies like Bartaman & Sangbad Pratidin have also upped their ante by including more pages and sections.
The vernacular print media space in West Bengal comprises 4 major Bengali dailies: Anandabazar Patrika, Aajkaal, Bartaman and Sangbad Pratidin. Out of these 4 dailies, Anandabazar Patrika is said to be the dominant leader in the Bengali print media space and ranks 6th among the top 10 vernacular dailies in India as per IRS 2012 (IRS stands for Indian Readership Survey) with a readership of about 59 lakhs.
- Regular sections
- Ei Muhurte: Contains essays on different topics, tips, analysis on different subjects like graphology, share market.
- Ei Shahar: Contains news and articles related to Kolkata.
- Ei Rajya: Contains news and articles related to West Bengal.
- Ei Desh: Deals with news of national interest.
- Sompadokiyo: Contains editorial, on this date, essays.
- Khelar Samay: Sports section contains news on different sports.
- Other sections
- Onnya Samay: Regular supplement.
- Robibaroyari: Sunday Special.
- TOI gears up for Bengal mkt; ropes in Tailor
- Times group enters Bengali newspaper market with Ei Samay
- Times Group to launch Bengali daily 'Ei Samay' on Oct 15 | National | www.indiatimes.com
- "Ei Samay launched, Bengali print war heats up". Exchange4media. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "imes group enters Bengali newspaper market with Ei Samay". Business Standard. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- The Hoot Story Page - media, press, subcontinent, media ethics, media watch, media research, media conflict, media gender, community radio, Unescos
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ei Samay Sangbadpatra.|