Eilean Bàn, Lochalsh
|Gaelic name||Eilean Bàn|
|Pronunciation||[ˈelan ˈpaːn] ( listen)|
|Meaning of name||White Island|
Eilean Bàn from the Skye Bridge, looking towards Kyle of Lochalsh
Eilean Bàn shown within Scotland
|OS grid reference|
|Area||2.4 ha (5.9 acres)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
View of the lighthouse from Skye bridge
|Year first constructed||1857|
maintened as daybeacon
|Tower shape||cylindrical tower with balcony and lantern|
|Markings / pattern||white tower, black lantern, ochre trim|
|Height||21 metres (69 ft)|
|Managing agent||Eilean Bàn Trust|
Eilean Bàn (Scottish Gaelic meaning White Island) is a six acre island off the coast of mainland Scotland, between Kyle of Lochalsh and the Isle of Skye, in Highland. The island supports part of the Skye Bridge, which crosses the mouth of Loch Alsh from the mainland to Skye.
Kyleakin Lighthouse is situated at the south-western end of Eilean Bàn. It was built by David and Thomas Stevenson in 1857, and is linked to a pair of keepers' houses. The lighthouse was automated and converted to use acetylene gas in 1960. Following the start of construction of the Skye Bridge, the lighthouse was decommissioned in 1993. It is a Category B listed building.
- Haswell-Smith, Hamish (2004). The Scottish Islands. Edinburgh: Canongate. ISBN 978-1-84195-454-7.
- Ordnance Survey
- Mac an Tàilleir, Iain (2003) Ainmean-àite/Placenames. (pdf) Pàrlamaid na h-Alba. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- Eilean Bàn (Kyleakin) The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 24 May 2016
- "The Eilean Bàn Trust". Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- Lister-Kaye, John (1972). The White Island. Longman. ISBN 0-582-10903-5.
- General Register Office for Scotland (28 November 2003) Scotland's Census 2001 – Occasional Paper No 10: Statistics for Inhabited Islands. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- National Records of Scotland (15 August 2013) (pdf) Statistical Bulletin: 2011 Census: First Results on Population and Household Estimates for Scotland - Release 1C (Part Two). "Appendix 2: Population and households on Scotland’s inhabited islands". Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Eilean Ban, Kyleakin Lighthouse". Listed Building Report. Historic Scotland. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eilean Bàn.|
|This Highland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|