Eileen Kernaghan (born January 6, 1939) is a Canadian novelist and three-time winner of the Prix Aurora Award for English-language Canadian speculative fiction. The settings of her historical fantasy novels range from the prehistoric Indus Valley and eighteenth century Bhutan, to Elizabethan England and nineteenth century Scandinavia. She lives in New Westminster, British Columbia.
Eileen Kernaghan grew up on a dairy farm outside Grindrod, B.C., Canada, population 600. The reading material she found on the family shelves - Greek myths, historical novels, G. A. Henty's boys' adventure books, a collection of Weird Tales and Thrilling Wonder Stories - helped to shape her writing career.
Her first published story, written when she was twelve, appeared in the Vancouver Sun newspaper. It earned her a byline, an illustration, and a cheque for $12.65. Her next appearance in print, twenty years later, was with a cover story in the New York science fiction magazine Galaxy. She went on to write the "Grey Isles" series, a Bronze Age trilogy based on the origins of Stonehenge. Journey to Aprilioth, Songs from the Drowned Lands and The Sarsen Witch were published by Ace Books during the 1980s.
As for her day jobs, they've included elementary school teaching, arts administration, operating a used bookstore with her husband Pat, and, for many years, teaching creative writing at Shadbolt Centre for the Arts in Burnaby, and Port Moody's Kyle Centre. She has three adult children and four grandchildren.
- The Grey Isles sequence:
- Dance of the Snow Dragon (1995). Saskatoon, Sask: Thistledown Press. ISBN 978-1-895449-41-9.
- The Snow Queen (2000). Saskatoon, Sask: Thistledown Press. ISBN 978-1-894345-14-9.
- The Alchemist's Daughter (2004). Saskatoon, Sask: Thistledown Press. ISBN 978-1-894345-79-8.
- Winter on the Plain of Ghosts: a novel of Mohenjo-daro (2004). New Westminster, BC: Flying Monkey Press. ISBN 978-0-9734012-0-2.
- Wild Talent: A Novel of the Supernatural (2008). Historical fantasy: YA age 14+. Thistledown Press. ISBN 1-897235-40-2 ISBN 978-1-897235-40-9.
- Tales from the Holograph Woods: Speculative Poetry (2009). Wattle and Daub Books. ISBN 978-0981065823
- Dragon-Rain and Other Stories (Kindle Edition) (2013) Neville Books/Flying Monkey Press. Dragon Rain and Other Stories at Amazon.com
- Sophie, in Shadow (2014). Historical fantasy: YA age 14+. Thistledown Press. ISBN 978-1-927068-94-6.
- "KERNAGHAN, Eileen". Author Bank. BC BookWorld. Retrieved 2007-10-30.
- Wolf, C. June (2005-03-28). "Interview: Eileen Kernaghan, Poet and Novelist". Strange Horizons. Archived from the original on 2007-11-13. Retrieved 2007-10-30.
- Schellenberg, James; David M. Switzer (2006-03-10). "Interview with Eileen Kernaghan". Challenging Destiny. Retrieved 2007-10-30.
- "Eileen Kernaghan - Summary Bibliography". ISFDB. Retrieved 2007-10-30.