Einar Stray Orchestra
|Einar Stray Orchestra|
Einar Stray Orchestra live in Prague, 2012
|Genres||Indie Pop, Post Rock|
|Years active||2006 - present|
|Labels||Riot Factory, Sinnbus|
Einar Stray |
Maja Gravermoen Toresen
Ofelia Østrem Ossum
Hanna Vik Furuseth|
Einar Stray Orchestra is a Norwegian indie-pop and post-rock band. The young quintet have released three albums to rave critics, two EP's, and have played more than 300 concerts in Europe/Asia. Combining classical and folk music with pop and rock they have played several sold out headliner tours and festivals. Einar Stray Orchestra is influenced by bands such as Sufjan Stevens, Bright Eyes, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor.
Einar Stray (born 1990) started recording songs in his bedroom in Sandvika, a little town located in the south west of Oslo in 2006. As an experimental singer/songwriter he brought musician friends with him on stage, and together they produced music both delicate and grandiose with strings, blows, percussion, choir parts, noisy guitars, and a classical inspired piano style - counting 11 band members at its most.
After meeting the Norwegian artist Moddi in 2008, they quickly joined forces and released their debut EPs together, as a split-vinyl. "Favors And Fields/Rubato EP" resulted in their first tour through Norway, including big festivals like Slottsfjell, By:larm and Øya. Moddi and Einar has appeared in each other's bands ever since.
With a range from noisy post-rock ballads to stripped down a cappella songs the band toured all of 2012, and gave also birth to "For The Country EP". They ended the year opening for Múm and Under Byen in Russia.
“There's so much going on that it's difficult to glean much upon initial listens – it's probably a little alienating, but if you do manage to persevere and penetrate the gloopy outer shell, you'll be rewarded with an opulent, everchanging chimera of a record.”
In May 2015 the band announced that they are working on their third album, coming out in 2016.
- 2011: Chiaroscuro (Nordic version - Spoon Train Audio)
- 2012: Chiaroscuro (European version - Sinnbus)
- 2014: Politricks (Riot Factory/Sinnbus)
- 2017: Dear Bigotry (Sinnbus)
- "Einar Stray Orchestra's Conscious Post-Rock is Bewitching". Mtviggy.com. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- "Einar Stray Orchestra (NO)". Nordicdelight.nl. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- "sinnbus - sr041 - Einar Stray - Chiaroscuro". Sinnbus.de. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- "Einar Stray - Chiaroscuro (Vinyl, LP, Album)". Discogs.com. 2012-01-20. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- "sinnbus - sr054 - Einar Stray Orchestra - Politricks". Sinnbus.de. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- Laurence Day (14 October 2014). "Politricks by Einar Stray Orchestra - Album Review - The Line Of Best Fit". The Line of Best Fit. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- "EinarStrayOrchestra on Twitter: "Ladies and Gentlemen, our new single "Politricks"! iTunes: http://t.co/aY1cebNJqz (Artwork: Simen Sandbæk Skari) http://t.co/KPQRuipaTc"". Twitter.com. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2015-05-14. External link in
- "Einar Stray". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- "Einar Stray Orchestra". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-05-14.