This article is missing information about his works - summary/reception etc. Also add ISBNs/links for the books.February 2014)(
Thomassen was in Bergen, and grew up in Laksevåg. He was taught Coptic, Greek and Latin already during Bergen Cathedral School. He studied in Sweden, France, and Scotland. He took the mag.art. degree at the University of Bergen, and the Ph.D. at the University of St. Andrews.
Thomassen is a professor at the University of Bergen, and also an adjunct professor at the University of Aarhus. He lectures in Christianity, Islam, Religion of the Antique and Classical World, pre-Islamic Middle-East, Syncretism) and Method.
Selected Writings in English
- The tripartite tractate from Nag Hammadi (1982)
- The Platonic and the Gnostic "Demiurge" (1993)
- The Letters of Ahmad Ibn Idris (1993)
- "Musings on 'syncretism'" (2004)
- Religious Education in a Pluralistic Society: Experiences from Norway (2006)
- The Spiritual Seed: the church of the 'Valentinians' (2006)
He lives in Bønes with his wife, whom he met while studying religious studies in the 1970s. They have two sons.
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)