Einstein–Cartan–Evans theory was an attempted unified theory of physics proposed by Myron W. Evans, which claimed to unify general relativity, quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. The hypothesis was largely published in the journal Foundations of Physics Letters between 2003 and 2005. Several of Evans' central claims were later shown to be mathematically incorrect and, in 2008, the editor of Foundations of Physics published an editorial note effectively retracting the journal's support for the hypothesis.
Earlier versions of the theory were called "O(3) dynamics".
Evans' claims are not accepted by the mainstream physics community. In an editorial note in Foundations of Physics the Nobel laureate Gerard 't Hooft discussed the "revolutionary paradigm switch in theoretical physics" promised by ECE theory. He concluded that activities in the subject "have remained limited to personal web pages and are absent from the standard electronic archives, while no reference to ECE theory can be spotted in any of the peer reviewed scientific journals".
Several of the published contributions in this theory have been shown to be mathematically incorrect. In response to these demonstrations, 't Hooft's editorial note concludes, "Taking into account the findings of Bruhn, Hehl and Obukhhov, the discussion of ECE theory in the journal Foundations of Physics will be concluded herewith unless very good arguments are presented to resume the matter."
- Evans 2005
- Evans 2006a
- Evans 2006b
- Evans 2007
- Bruhn 2008
- Bruhn, Hehl & Jadczyk 2008
- Rodrigues & Souza 2005
- Trovon de Carvalho & Rodrigues 2001
- 't Hooft 2008
- Anastasovski, P. K.; Bearden, T. E.; Ciubotariu, C.; Coffey, W. T.; Crowell, L. B.; Evans, G. J.; Evans, M. W.; Flower, R.; Labounsky, A.; Lehnert, B.; Mészáros, M.; Molnár, P. R.; Moscicki, J. K.; Roy, S.; Vigier, J.P. (2001), "Explanation of the motionless electromagnetic generator with O(3) dynamics", Foundations of Physics Letters, 14 (1): 87–94, doi:10.1023/A:1012085429802
- Alpha Institute for Advanced Studies (AIAS)
- Evans, Myron W. (2005), Generally Covariant Unified Field Theory, Abramis, ISBN 1-84549-054-1
- Evans, Myron W. (2006a), Generally Covariant Unified Field Theory, II, Abramis, ISBN 1-84549-123-8
- Evans, Myron W. (2006b), Generally Covariant Unified Field Theory, III, Abramis, ISBN 1-84549-131-9
- Evans, Myron W. (2007), Generally Covariant Unified Field Theory, IV, Abramis, ISBN 1-84549-248-X
- Bruhn, Gerhard W. (2008), "On the non-Lorentz-invariance of M. W. Evans' O(3)-symmetry law", Found. Phys., 38 (1): 3–6, arXiv: , Bibcode:2008FoPh...38....3B, doi:10.1007/s10701-007-9189-6, MR 2387497
- Bruhn, Gerhard W.; Hehl, Friedrich W.; Jadczyk, Arkadiusz (2008), "Comments on: "Spin connection resonance in gravitational general relativity" by M.W. Evans", Acta Phys. Polon. B, 39: 51–58, arXiv: , Bibcode:2008AcPPB..39...51B, MR 2372785
- Rodrigues, Waldyr A.; Souza, Quintino A. G. (2005), "An ambiguous statement called the "tetrad postulate" and the correct field equations satisfied by the tetrad fields", Int. J. Mod. Phys. D, 14: 2095–2150, arXiv: , Bibcode:2005IJMPD..14.2095R, doi:10.1142/S0218271805008157, MR 2218579
- Trovon de Carvalho, A. L.; Rodrigues, W. A. (2001), "The non sequitur mathematics and physics of the "new electrodynamics" proposed by the AIAS group", Random Oper. Stochastic Equations, 9 (2): 161–206, doi:10.1515/rose.2001.9.2.161, MR 1832162
- 't Hooft, Gerard (2008), "Editorial note", Foundations of Physics, 38 (1): 1–2, Bibcode:2008FoPh...38....1T, doi:10.1007/s10701-007-9187-8
- Alpha Institute for Advanced Study (AIAS), Myron Evans' website.